Register to reply

Friction and Tension along a Curved Path

by aeb2335
Tags: friction curved path
Share this thread:
aeb2335
Dec19-12, 05:35 PM
P: 25
I just want to make sure my thinking and free body is correct before I go further in a project I am working on; for some strange reason (probably the curved path) I am doubting myself.

I will try and explain the problem but the attached image is probably the best description.

There is a beam that is pinned at A on one end and free to move along a path of constant curvature (a circle) at the other end; There is a force of tension FT that acts on the beam at an angle θ with a coefficient of friction of μs. Neglect gravity.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAN0201.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Studiot
Dec19-12, 05:52 PM
P: 5,462
I expect if you were to post your information a bit more legibly and actually state your question you might receive an answer.

If this is homework then you should read the instructions about posting it.
rdbateman
Dec19-12, 05:55 PM
P: 30
Can you redraw the graph? Its not clear to me and I have bad eyes :(

aeb2335
Dec19-12, 06:52 PM
P: 25
Friction and Tension along a Curved Path

Yea I never really did state the actual problem I got a bit too excited. The question is for what angles theta phi and gamma does the beam stay in static equilibrium. I will re-post a better picture shortly.
rdbateman
Dec19-12, 10:54 PM
P: 30
Lmao!

Register to reply