Anyone on here ever met or worked with a mad scientist?

by Yayfordoritos
Tags: scientist, worked
Yayfordoritos
Dec19-12, 07:33 PM
P: 16
I'm just curious if scientist like that exist, or if it's just a hollywood thing.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Jimmy Snyder
Dec19-12, 08:07 PM
P: 2,163
Why do you ask? Are you implying something? Just who are you working with anyway? Stop persecuting me!
gravenewworld
Dec19-12, 08:22 PM
P: 1,389
No, but many people in science are weird, annoying, quirky, strange, or just completely anti-social.

MarneMath
Dec19-12, 08:37 PM
P: 423

Anyone on here ever met or worked with a mad scientist?

We must know very different people in science.
BobG
Dec19-12, 08:48 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,275
He was pretty mad the day I spilled acid on his shoe. I didn't work with him very long though - hired and fired the same day.
Yayfordoritos
Dec19-12, 08:57 PM
P: 16
Quote Quote by MarneMath View Post
We must know very different people in science.
Never said I met anyone like that, I just asked if people like that exist.
MarneMath
Dec19-12, 09:16 PM
P: 423
Never said that you said that.
zoobyshoe
Dec19-12, 09:33 PM
P: 5,616
In later life Tesla became something of a Mad Scientist. He veered off the beaten path and became more and more of a crackpot.

Newton seems to have had a couple bouts of complete craziness. These may well have been due to mercury poisoning from his alchemical researches.

However, I never personally met either of them.
George Jones
Dec19-12, 09:51 PM
Mentor
P: 6,039
The last conversation I had with a scientist (a few hours ago) was about: Emerson, Lake, and Palmer; Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues.
Averagesupernova
Dec19-12, 10:11 PM
P: 2,451
I have. Two guys, one had a mechanical engineering degree, claimed they had an overunity device. The other guy I have no idea if he had any education. They wanted to generate power and sell back to the grid. I suspect the mech engineer was being played, but I never could figure out for what reason. As far as I know the thing never got off the ground. I know they were not just pulling my leg about their efforts because I have seen the machine or parts of it. It's a long time ago, like 20 years or more. I played along because I wanted to be taken into their confidence. I remember it was some kind of rotary device and recall seeing a full sheet of plywood loaded with 100 watt light bulbs for testing. There were probably over a hundred of them. All I could ever get out of them was that the key was to create an energy void. The device supposedly had a cooling effect on the environment. The one guy disappeared, the mech engineer still lives in the area. Mad scientist or con-man? You tell me.
ImaLooser
Dec19-12, 10:41 PM
P: 571
Quote Quote by Yayfordoritos View Post
I'm just curious if scientist like that exist, or if it's just a hollywood thing.
I had a friend whose thesis advisor went insane. Kurt Godel was of rather dubious sanity. It seems to be an occupational hazard for logicians and mathematicians in general. Wolfgang Pauli had some serious mental difficulties and was cured by CG Jung.

Applied sciences are more down to earth.
russ_watters
Dec19-12, 11:52 PM
Mentor
P: 21,999
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
...hired and fired the same day.
You or him?
ZombieFeynman
Dec20-12, 02:09 AM
PF Gold
P: 235
Quote Quote by gravenewworld View Post
No, but many people in science are weird, annoying, quirky, strange, or just completely anti-social.
I sort of disagree. Perhaps the numbers of these sorts are a bit higher than the general population, but I think a much larger number of professional scientists are very down to earth, sociable, cooperative people.

All claims in this post are purely anecdotal. Your experience may vary. I am in no way responsible for your dealings with weird, annoying, quirky, strange, anti-social, or even mad scientists.
Chi Meson
Dec20-12, 05:17 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
I've met:

3 peeved scientists

12 irked scientists

2 irate scientists

5 incensed scientists

but no mad scientists
AlephZero
Dec20-12, 02:39 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,347
One of my uni friends was legendary for his ability to create havoc with lab experiments. Not to mention the time he blocked the river through the town, when the 100-year-old steam powered boat that he was restoring exploded on its maiden voyage.

He decided that blowing things up was obviously he speciality, and went to work for an offshore gas exploration company.

I've met up with him by chance a few times since college days - the 150 decibel high pitched voice and manic laughs are still easy to recognize at long range!

There was another biologist college friend who became a legend in his own final practical exam. This involved electrical stimulation of a (humanely killed) rabbit. About half an hour into the exam, there was a flash and a bang and the lab filled with the smell of singed fur. After which, he picked up the still smouldering rabbit by the ears, marched the length of the lab to the invigilator's desk, banged the charred remains down on the desk, and announced in a loud voice, "THIS RABBIT IS DEFECTIVE".....
Evo
Dec20-12, 02:46 PM
Mentor
P: 25,932
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
"THIS RABBIT IS DEFECTIVE".....
Lol!
Garth
Dec21-12, 05:43 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,273
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
One of my uni friends was legendary for his ability to create havoc with lab experiments. Not to mention the time he blocked the river through the town, when the 100-year-old steam powered boat that he was restoring exploded on its maiden voyage.

He decided that blowing things up was obviously he speciality, and went to work for an offshore gas exploration company.
The BP Deepwater Horizon rig I presume?

Garth
ImaLooser
Dec25-12, 12:17 AM
P: 571

00:53

Register to reply