Register to reply

If F(x,y)=<M(x,y),N(x,y)> is a vector field on the plane?

by sarahkelly
Tags: field, plane, vector, y>, y<mx
Share this thread:
sarahkelly
Dec20-12, 02:33 AM
P: 1
its components M(x,y) and N(x,y) are differentiable functions that satisfy (∂N(x,y)/∂x) (∂M(x,y)/∂y) = 1-x.

a. is it possible for the vector field to be conservative? Explain.

b. Let C be x^2+y^2=1 centered at the origin traced counter clockwise. compute the integral ∫F.dr

Since, the partial derivatives don't equal each other, they're not conservative. But how should I go about calculating this line integral?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Vorde
Dec20-12, 04:52 PM
P: 784
Well, first before we help you, you should say what you've gotten so far. Though based off the information given, I'll guess you know about Green's Theorem, in which case this is a fairly easy problem.
HallsofIvy
Dec20-12, 07:31 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,565
Quote Quote by sarahkelly View Post
its components M(x,y) and N(x,y) are differentiable functions that satisfy (∂N(x,y)/∂x) – (∂M(x,y)/∂y) = 1-x.

a. is it possible for the vector field to be conservative? Explain.

b. Let C be x^2+y^2=1 centered at the origin traced counter clockwise. compute the integral ∫F.dr

Since, the partial derivatives don't equal each other, they're not conservative. But how should I go about calculating this line integral?
You are not give F but you are given (∂N(x,y)/∂x) – (∂M(x,y)/∂y) = 1-x. Use Green's theorem.

Register to reply