Register to reply

What is the form of the following recursion relation?

by bjnartowt
Tags: form, recursion, relation
Share this thread:
bjnartowt
Dec21-12, 02:06 PM
P: 273
Hi all, I have a recursion relation I am trying to solve:

[itex]{X_n} = \frac{1}{{1 - {\alpha _0} \cdot {X_{n - 1}}}} \to {X_n} = ?[/itex]

What is the "mathematical form" of this recursion-relation? E.g., I know what a homogeneous, linear recursion-relation with constant coefficients looks like, and how to solve it; same with an inhomogeneous recursion relation. But what about this one? (alpha0 = a constant). All I know is that it looks like the closed-form solution to the infinite geometric sum, and I don't know where to go from there. If someone tells me what the mathematical form of this is, I can Google example-solutions that I can work off of, and/or see what a textbook says.

bjn
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
JJacquelin
Dec22-12, 06:00 AM
P: 756
Hi !

In attachment, you can see the method (not the whole calculus) which leads to the closed form.
Attached Thumbnails
Continuous Fraction.JPG  
bjnartowt
Dec22-12, 07:28 AM
P: 273
Thanks, JJaquelin. As it turns out, I found a book on difference-equations, in which there is a topic on continued fractions, which is a less mainstream topic than differential equations, so I am reading that now.

FYI: the book is Elaydi Saber's book: "An Introduction to Difference Equations".

Register to reply