Simulations / Computer programs

by Biosyn
Tags: program, simulation, statistics
Share this thread:
Biosyn
Dec16-12, 07:39 PM
P: 112
Hello,

Would someone please give me a list of free programs that I can use to simulate probability experiments/distributions.

Such as drawing 5 cards randomly from a deck or rolling 5 sets of 20 sided dice.

Or do I have to learn R or something?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
justsomeguy
Dec16-12, 09:08 PM
P: 166
If you're just looking to pick random numbers like in the examples you described, then there are plenty out there. random.org has a generic generator as well as specific examples like coin tosses, dice, and cards.

Or, are you looking for something that will analyze the results for you too?
Biosyn
Dec16-12, 09:12 PM
Quote Quote by justsomeguy View Post
If you're just looking to pick random numbers like in the examples you described, then there are plenty out there. random.org has a generic generator as well as specific examples like coin tosses, dice, and cards.

Or, are you looking for something that will analyze the results for you too?
Something that will analyze the results. As well as a program that I can set the number of trials there are, up to the millions.

justsomeguy
Dec16-12, 09:13 PM
Simulations / Computer programs

Sorry if I'm prying but if you have one program that's generating random numbers or distributions, and that same program analyzing them, all it's going to analyze is the output of it's own random number generator.

Is there something specific you want to accomplish?
Biosyn
Dec16-12, 09:15 PM
Sorry if I'm prying but if you have one program that's generating random numbers or distributions, and that same program analyzing them, all it's going to analyze is the output of it's own random number generator.

Is there something specific you want to accomplish?
I would like to be able to run a simulation similar to what this person has done:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showpos...5&postcount=26
justsomeguy
Dec16-12, 09:44 PM
I see. The random.org card shuffler can do that -- but it's one draw at a time. You can tell it to draw as many cards as you like.

Why not ask Ed what software he used? I could write you something if he doesn't answer, it would be pretty simple.
Biosyn
Dec16-12, 09:49 PM
I just sent Ed a message. :P

The thing with random.org is that I don't want to sit there and keep pressing the 'Again' button until I get a million trials. I would also have to record the outcomes by hand.
justsomeguy
Dec16-12, 09:54 PM
Yeah I completely understand that. I'm not sure what specific 'card shuffling' software is out there that will do exactly what you want, but as I said, if he doesn't get back to you I can probably spin something up in perl pretty quick to duplicate his results.
Biosyn
Dec16-12, 09:56 PM
Yeah I completely understand that. I'm not sure what specific 'card shuffling' software is out there that will do exactly what you want, but as I said, if he doesn't get back to you I can probably spin something up in perl pretty quick to duplicate his results.
Okay, thank you! I'll let you know if he replies or not.
Biosyn
Dec22-12, 09:06 PM
Ed Collins replied. Thank you!

Register to reply