Register to reply

Estimate molarity from enthalpy, gibbs energy and entropy of formation

Share this thread:
Telemachus
Dec24-12, 06:04 PM
P: 535
Hi there, I have to solve this problem:

Use the following data to estimate the molarity of a saturated aqueous solution of ##Sr(IO_3)_2##

So, I think I should use the Van't Hoff equation in some way, but I don't know how.
I also have:

##\Delta_r G=\Delta G^o+RT\ln K##

##K## is the equilibrium constant, and ##\Delta G^o## is the Gibbs energy of formation.

In equilibrium ##\Delta_r G=0## and the equation can be managed to get the Van't Hoff equation, which is:

##\ln K_1-\ln K_2=-\displaystyle\frac{\Delta H^o}{R} \left( \displaystyle\frac{1}{T_2}-\displaystyle\frac{1}{T_1} \right)##

I think that I should handle this equations to get the equilibrium constant in some way, and then the molarity. Another equation that may be useful is the definition of the Gibbs energy:

##\Delta G^o=\Delta H^o-T\Delta S^o##

The chemical equation involved I think should be:
##Sr(IO_3)_2(s)+H_2O(l) \rightleftharpoons Sr^{2+}(aq)+2IO_3^{-}##

And from it: ##K'=\displaystyle\frac{[Sr^{2+}][IO_3^{-}]^2}{[Sr(IO_3)_2]}##

The solid concentration remains constant, and then: ##K=[Sr^{2+}][IO_3^{-}]^2##

Can anybody help me to work this out?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
tabla.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Telemachus
Dec25-12, 09:43 AM
P: 535
Ok. The chemical equation I set before was wrong. I wrote it hurried, because of christmass I had to dinner with my family and all that stuff.

Here is the correct chemical equation as I think it should be:
##Sr(IO_3)_2(s) \rightleftharpoons Sr^{2+}(aq)+2IO_3^{-}(aq)##

Alright, so I tried to solve this in the following manner. I am trying to find the equilibrium constant, I think that if I find it, then I will find the asked molarity.

So I thought of using that at equilibrium:
##K_c=e^{\displaystyle\frac{\Delta G^o}{RT}}##

So, I have to find the temperature at first. And for that I thought of using

##\Delta G=\Delta H-T\Delta S\rightarrow T=\displaystyle\frac{\Delta H-\Delta G}{\Delta S}## (1)

And then for the reaction I have:

##\Delta S=\sum \nu S^o(products)-\sum \nu S^o (reactants)##

nu stands for the stoichiometric coefficients. From the data in the table I get:

##\Delta S=-0.0.0298\frac{kJ}{mol K}##

Similarly: ##\Delta G=\sum \nu \Delta G_f^o(products)-\sum \nu \Delta G_f^o (reactants)=-0.4\frac{kJ}{mol}##

And: ##\Delta H=\sum \nu \Delta H_f^o(products)-\sum \nu \Delta H_f^o (reactants)=30.8\frac{kJ}{mol}##

Then, back to (1) I get:

##T=\frac{252.1-127.6}{-0.1482}K=-1020.13K##

And there is the problem, I'm getting a negative temperature. I don't know what I did wrong. Besides, at first I found a negative entropy, which implies not spontaneous reaction. And the enthalpy is positive, with means endothermic reaction, I think that is consistent. But I don't know why I get this negative temperature, which is obviously wrong.

Thanks for your attention :)

Register to reply