Share this thread:
WannabeNewton
Dec24-12, 07:57 AM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,573
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I didn't really know if this belonged here or in the math section but it is from a physics book so what the heck =D. I have to show that the directional derivative of the ricci scalar along a killing vector field vanishes i.e. [itex]\triangledown _{\xi }R = \xi ^{\rho }\triangledown _{\rho }R = 0[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
From previous parts of the problem I had shown that [itex]\triangledown _{\mu }\triangledown _{\nu }\xi ^{\mu } = R_{\nu \rho }\xi ^{\rho }[/itex] and we have, from the Bianchi identity, that [itex]\triangledown ^{v}R_{v\rho } = \frac{1}{2}\triangledown _{\rho }R[/itex] so combining the two we see that [itex]\triangledown ^{\nu }\triangledown _{\mu }\triangledown _{\nu }\xi ^{\mu } = R_{\nu \rho }\triangledown ^{\nu }\xi ^{\rho } + \frac{1}{2}\xi ^{\rho }\triangledown _{\rho }R[/itex]. Since [itex]\triangledown ^{\nu }\xi ^{\rho }[/itex] is anti - symmetric and [itex]R_{\nu \rho }[/itex] is symmetric, their contraction vanishes so we are left with [itex]\triangledown ^{\nu }\triangledown _{\mu }\triangledown _{\nu }\xi ^{\mu } = \frac{1}{2}\xi ^{\rho }\triangledown _{\rho }R[/itex]. Here's where I'm stuck. I tried playing around with the left side, by using the definition of a killing field, to see if I can show that the left side must vanish (possibly by anti - symmetry and\or dummy index relabeling tricks) but I can't seem to simplify it further. Any help is much appreciated thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
George Jones
Dec25-12, 02:34 PM
Mentor
P: 6,241
Hi kevinferreira. Welcome to Physics Forums!

To make LateX work, enclose mathematics by the tags

[itex] and [/itex]
(for in-line mathematics,), or
[tex] and [/tex]
(for stand-alone mathematics).
WannabeNewton
Dec25-12, 04:15 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
Thanks guys!

WannabeNewton
Dec25-12, 04:38 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
Direction derivative of Ricci scalar w.r.t. killing field

Quote Quote by kevinferreira View Post
Actually Kevin, I'm not sure where your calculations went but I'm not sure about your last line with the riemann tensor. You wrote that [itex]\triangledown ^{\nu }\triangledown _{\mu }\triangledown _{\nu }\xi ^{\mu } = \triangledown ^{\nu }R^{\nu }_{\mu \nu \sigma }\xi ^{\sigma }[/itex] but I don't think is even allowed since you have two repeated indices on the top and one on the bottom which doesn't make sense (two nu's on the top and one nu on the bottom) so I don't know if that expression is valid in accordance with the summation convention.
kevinferreira
Dec25-12, 06:46 PM
P: 123
Actually, I screwed up the whole thing, it was wrong. so I just wanted to keep the least trace of it possible! =D

Anyway, I've been working on this, and here's what I have.
Start with the twice contracted Bianchi identity (that you implicitly derived in your previous calculations):
[tex] \triangledown^{\mu}R_{\mu\nu}-\frac{1}{2}\triangledown_{\nu}R=0[/tex]
and contract it with your vectorfield:
[tex] \frac{1}{2}\xi^{\nu}\triangledown_{\nu}R=\xi^{\nu}\triangledown^{\mu}R_ {\mu\nu}.[/tex]
You recognise what you want on the left side.
WannabeNewton
Dec25-12, 06:54 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
Ah yes that solves it quite quickly. I solved it as well in the interim between your responses but my calculations had a few extra steps so I like yours better in the end. Thanks mate, cheers!
shichao116
Feb28-13, 11:02 PM
P: 13
Hi WannabeNewton, I now have the same problem as you did in this thread, can you show how you "solve it quickly" from [itex]1/2\xi^\nu\nabla_\nu R = \xi^\nu\nabla^\mu R_{\mu\nu}[/itex] ? I'm stuck exactly here. Thanks!
shichao116
Feb28-13, 11:03 PM
P: 13
Quote Quote by WannabeNewton View Post
Ah yes that solves it quite quickly. I solved it as well in the interim between your responses but my calculations had a few extra steps so I like yours better in the end. Thanks mate, cheers!
Hi WannabeNewton, I now have the same problem as you did in this thread, can you show how you "solve it quickly" from [itex]1/2\xi^\nu\nabla_\nu R = \xi^\nu\nabla^\mu R_{\mu\nu}[/itex] ? I'm stuck exactly here. Thanks!
sjabbo
Jun18-13, 06:53 AM
P: 1
Quote Quote by shichao116 View Post
I hope that by now your question is answered, but for those who are still looking for one, the reason has been mentioned above: [itex]\triangledown ^{\nu }\xi ^{\rho }[/itex] is anti - symmetric and [itex]R_{\nu \rho }[/itex] is symmetric so [itex]\xi^\nu\nabla^\mu R_{\mu\nu}[/itex] vanishes (with the use of the product rule of course).
WannabeNewton
Jul4-13, 12:48 AM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
I didn't notice someone responded to this thread after all this time (well granted it wasn't that long a time lmfao). ##\xi^{a}\nabla^{b}R_{ab}## does not vanish because of an antisymmetric and symmetric contraction. There is no contraction of an antisymmetric tensor and symmetric tensor in the above expression; ##\nabla^{a}\xi^{b} = \nabla^{[a}\xi^{b]}## yes but that is not what you have in the above expression. I don't know in what way exactly you are alluding to the product rule but for the above that just gives ##\xi^{a}\nabla^{b}R_{ab}=\nabla^{b}(\xi^{a}R_{ab}) ## and you must do further calculations in order to show that this vanishes identically; it is not immediate.

For anyone still interested, here is one way to solve it very easily (building upon the last sentence above): first note that ##\nabla^{a}R_{ab} = \frac{1}{2}\nabla_{b}R## from the second Bianchi identity. We also have that ##\nabla_{a}\nabla_{b}\xi^{a} = R_{bd}\xi^{d}## hence ##\nabla^{b}\nabla_{a}\nabla_{b}\xi^{a} = \nabla^{b}(R_{bd}\xi^{d}) = \xi^{d}\nabla^{b}R_{bd} = \frac{1}{2}\xi^{d}\nabla_{d}R ##. Now ##\nabla^{b}\nabla_{a}(\nabla_{b}\xi^{a}) - \nabla_{a}\nabla^{b}(\nabla_{b}\xi^{a}) = R_{ae}\nabla^{e}\xi^{a} - R_{be}\nabla^{b}\xi^{e} = 0## so ##\frac{1}{2}\xi^{d}\nabla_{d}R = \nabla^{a}\nabla^{b}\nabla_{b}\xi_{a} = -\xi^{d}\nabla^{a}R_{ad} = -\frac{1}{2}\xi^{d}\nabla_{d}R## hence ##\xi^{d}\nabla_{d}R = 0##.

Register to reply