Finding the Equation of a Plane in R3 Using Intersection Points and Distances

• Thread starter xzardaz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving equations of lines and a plane in R3 through the origin. The goal is to find the equation of the plane in terms of λ, β, γ, h, and w, using information about the intersections and distances between points on the plane. The suggested method involves solving a system of equations and using a normal vector to find the equation of the plane. Further clarification and references are requested in the conversation.
xzardaz
Hello, I have a simple(or not?) math problem:

I have equations of 3 lines in R3 trought the origin:

line l1:
1*x+β1*y+γ1*z=0
2*x+β2*y+γ2*z=0

line l2:
3*x+β2*y+γ3*z=0
4*x+β3*y+γ4*z=0

line l3:
5*x+β4*y+γ5*z=0
6*x+β5*y+γ6*z=0

I know every λ, β and γ - they are real constants.

I also have a plane δ and :

l1 intersects δ in point p1,
l2 intersects δ in point p2,
l3 intersects δ in point p3

I also know:
...the distance between p1 and p2 = h
...the distance between p2 and p3 = w
...p1, p2 and p3 form a right triangle with right angle at p2 (h2+w2=(p1p3)2)

I want to find the equation of δ in terms of λ, β, γ, h and w

it should be easy to find the equation of the plane if I find the points p1, p2 and p3

I think I should compose a system, containing:
...the first six equations(which are linear, so it should be easy to solve with matrices),
...the equation for right angle in R3: w2+h2=(p1p2)2,
...the two equations for distances w and h: h2=(p1x-p2x)2+(p1y-p2y)2+(p1z-p2z)2 and w2=(p2x-p3x)2+(p2y-p3y)2+(p2z-p3z)2

There are 9 equations with 9 unknowns (3 points, each with 3 coordinates) - it should be solvable.

Have you got any ideas how to solve this? If there weren't 3 quadratic equations it would be easy.

*I know that there should be 2 planes, matching the conditions - one that I've drawn(see the image) and the other is at the opposite side of the origin. I think the two roots of the quadratic equations should find them.

Attachments

• 222222.jpg
    222222.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 371
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey xzardaz.

Try using the intersections to get the normal of the plane and use one of the points as a point on the plane.

Basically a line is represented by L(t) = a*(1-t) + (b-a)*t where the line passes through points a and b.

Now if you solve for t for all the lines you build a normal by considering n = (p2-p1) X (p3-p1) which you normalize and then use the relationship n . (r - r0) = 0 where n is what you solved, r0 = p1, and r is a general point on the plane.

Try using the intersections to get the normal of the plane and use one of the points as a point on the plane.

Basically a line is represented by L(t) = a*(1-t) + (b-a)*t where the line passes through points a and b.

Now if you solve for t for all the lines you build a normal by considering n = (p2-p1) X (p3-p1) which you normalize and then use the relationship n . (r - r0) = 0 where n is what you solved, r0 = p1, and r is a general point on the plane.

I don't think I fully understand you. Can you give me some references ?

If I solve L(t) = a*(1-t) + (b-a)*t for all the lines, I can't get the points, because there are infinite number of points matching the equations. How do I use w and h ?

You can solve for t by using the fact that L(t) = point on plane for some t and then re-arrange to get the value of t.

Happy new year,

L(t)=a(1-t)+(b-a)t\\

L(t)=p1x(1-t)+(p2x-p1x)t
L(t)=p1y(1-t)+(p2y-p1y)t
L(t)=p1z(1-t)+(p2z-p1z)t

L(t)=p2x(1-t)+(p3x-p2x)t
L(t)=p2y(1-t)+(p3y-p2y)t
L(t)=p2z(1-t)+(p3z-p2z)t

Is that what you mean ? If so, how do I find p1, p2 and p3 ?

Last edited:
What you have is basically L_1(t) = p1 = a1*(1-t1) + (b1-a1)*t1, L_2 = a2*(1-t2) + (b2-a2)*t2 and so on.

You extrapolate your variables in terms of the t's by relating the different forms of the line equations together.

The normal is calculated in terms of (p3-p1) X (p2-p1) and this will give the normal to the plane with point p1 on the plane.

What is a simple camera problem?

A simple camera problem is any issue or challenge that arises while using a camera, such as blurry images, incorrect exposure, or malfunctioning equipment.

What causes a simple camera problem?

There are many possible causes for a simple camera problem, including user error, environmental factors, technical issues, or equipment defects.

How can I fix a simple camera problem?

The solution to a simple camera problem depends on the specific issue. Some problems can be fixed by adjusting settings or using different techniques, while others may require repairs or replacement of equipment.

What can I do to prevent simple camera problems?

To prevent simple camera problems, it is important to properly maintain and handle the equipment, familiarize yourself with its features and functions, and practice using it in different conditions.

When should I seek professional help for a simple camera problem?

If you are unable to fix a simple camera problem on your own or if the issue persists despite your attempts to troubleshoot, it may be necessary to seek help from a professional camera technician or the manufacturer.