good sci-fi books?

by wisvuze
Tags: books, scifi
Borek
Sep5-12, 01:39 PM
Admin
P: 22,655
Now that the Niven was mentioned... It is surprising how sometimes writing style changes the ease of reading. I have no problems with reading Clarke (or King, or Grisham, or Clancy, or Archer, or Tolkien, or Pratchett - I list them cause I can see their books from here), but Niven books are much more difficult. There is something funny with his English, which makes understanding him much more difficult.

Note it is just my personal opinion, and English is my second language.
turbo
Sep5-12, 02:08 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Herbert's Dune is a classic, though the sequel materials were so-so at best, IMO.
Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a good read - one of the best books of my teen years. I haven't re-read it since, so I don't know how well it held up over the years.

When I was younger, I couldn't afford to buy all the science-fiction books I wanted, so some friends and I would each buy them as we could afford them and then swap them. Unfortunately, that meant that most of those books drifted away in swaps, and I never got them back.

Somewhere, there is probably a "black hole" person who failed to pass on the books and has a great library of them.
Borek
Sep5-12, 02:44 PM
Admin
P: 22,655
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Somewhere, there is probably a "black hole" person who failed to pass on the books and has a great library of them.
Yep. But he keeps them on the floor, as people never borrow shelves, just books.
turbo
Sep5-12, 02:57 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Yep. But he keeps them on the floor, as people never borrow shelves, just books.
Could be, though I was leaning toward him storing them in stolen plastic milk-crates.

As Bill, Mark, and myself (and others in our circle) bought and read the books we wrote our names inside the front covers before trading them. That might not have been a good idea, since there was a marginal chance that we might have gotten them back if we had not acknowledged that we had read them yet.

I would love to have some of those classics back, but it would be $$$ to get them. The price of paperbacks has soared.
Evo
Dec26-12, 01:09 PM
Mentor
P: 25,911
I just started reading "Tool of the trade" by Joe Haldeman, I'm having trouble putting it down. It's listed as a "sci-fi thriller". So far I'm loving it. Anyone else read this or any of his other books?

Imagine being able to control the human mind. The power, the possibilities, the world-shattering consequences.
From the back of the book
Meet Nicholas Foley--distinguished professor, loving husband, model citizen.

Meet Nicholas Foley--KGB mole, a man living a dangerous lie behind the smooth facade of a manufactured American identity.

Meet Nicholas Foley--secret inventor of an awesome device that gives him ultimate control over the human mind!

Now, as his KGB masters try to activate him, Foley must decide which side he is really on--and who will have access to his device and the mind-boggling power it can wield--for the good of humanity...or for its ultimate destruction.

Author's Biography: Joe Haldeman has served twice as president of the Science Fiction Writers of America and is currently an adjunct professor teaching writing at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
turbo
Dec26-12, 01:17 PM
PF Gold
I read some of his stuff that was serialized in pulp magazines. My friend's father subscribed to them, and I got to borrow them.
jim hardy
Dec27-12, 03:18 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,134
Early Theodore Sturgeon

"Widget Wadget and Boff" a long, heartwarming short story
Ether Breather" series made me laugh 'till i cried
"Never Underestimate the Power" as timely today as in 1950

and anything by Robert Sheckley, most imaginative guy ever IMHO.

Register to reply