Myers-Brigg personality test and Holland Strong Inventory

• Thread starter punter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation discusses the Holland strong inventory test and the Myers Brigg Personality test and whether anyone on the forum has taken them. Some participants believe they are largely nonsense and difficult to game, while others believe they can offer insights about oneself. However, it is noted that these tests can be easily manipulated and may not always accurately reflect one's personality. Additionally, the significance of these tests is questioned, compared to other assessment tools. One participant also mentions the Keys to Cognition Test and the limitations of labeling oneself based on a test result. Overall, the conversation suggests that these tests may have some value, but should not be relied upon heavily for career guidance.
punter
Holland strong inventory test and the Myers Brigg Personality test. Has anyone on this forum taken these career assessment tests? Thoughts and opinions? Are there any professional career counsellors on this forum and, if so, what do you think of these tests?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. You can take them on the internet. It's largely nonsense and you don't know what an employer considers a "good" result so they are hard to game. Consider it as a dice roll if you have to take one as part of a recruitment process, and avoid overly sociopathic answers.

If you take these tests honestly, and in private, they can tell you a lot about yourself. However, these tests are very easy to mess with to make it look like someone you are not. Once you realize what they measure and how they measure it, it is very easy give the "right" answers for someone who is looking for that special INTJ or whatever they're seeking.

Also note that on some days you may find that your personality swings one way, and on other days your personality may swing another. It is but one very precursory self evaluation tool. I would not assign much significance to such tests. It is about as useful as the SAT is to showing how well you will do in college (and the answer to that question is that it is damned near worthless).

You can take the Keys to Cognition Test for your MBTI anf cognitive functions report. I think it does help but it's not good to go to labels...

I mostly get INTJ, sometimes ISTJ. Normally the NT types are good for physics and so on.

I believe that these tests can be useful tools for individuals who are seeking guidance in their career paths. The Holland Strong Inventory test and the Myers-Brigg Personality test are both widely recognized and researched assessments that can provide valuable insights into an individual's personality traits and preferences. However, it is important to note that these tests should not be the sole determining factor in making career decisions.

I have not personally taken these tests, but I have read about them and their methodologies. I believe that they can be helpful in self-reflection and understanding one's strengths and weaknesses. However, it is important to keep in mind that these tests are not definitive and should be used in conjunction with other resources and guidance from a professional career counselor.

Speaking as a scientist, I believe that it is crucial for individuals to approach these tests with an open mind and to not rely solely on the results. It is also important for professional career counselors to have a thorough understanding of these tests and their limitations in order to provide accurate and effective guidance to their clients.

Ultimately, these tests can serve as a starting point for individuals to explore their interests and career options, but they should not be the only factor in making important career decisions. It is always best to seek guidance from a trained professional who can provide personalized and comprehensive advice based on a variety of factors.

What is the Myers-Briggs personality test?

The Myers-Briggs personality test is a psychological assessment that categorizes individuals into 16 different personality types based on four dichotomies: extraversion/introversion, sensing/intuition, thinking/feeling, and judging/perceiving.

What is the Holland Strong Inventory?

The Holland Strong Inventory is a career assessment test that categorizes individuals into six different personality types based on their interests and preferences: realistic, investigative, artistic, social, enterprising, and conventional.

How accurate are these tests?

Both the Myers-Briggs personality test and the Holland Strong Inventory have been widely used and researched, but they are not considered highly accurate or reliable measures of personality or career interests. They should be used as a starting point for self-reflection and exploration, not as definitive answers.

Can your results from these tests change over time?

While personality and career interests can evolve over time, the results from these tests are generally considered to be stable. This means that while you may see some variation in your results if you take the test multiple times, your overall personality type or career type will likely remain the same.

How can these tests be useful?

These tests can be useful for gaining self-awareness and understanding your strengths, weaknesses, and potential career options. They can also provide insights into how you interact with others and what work environments may be more suitable for you.