"Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays".

by Dremmer
Tags: happy holidays, merry christmas
Jow
Jan2-13, 11:13 AM
P: 67
Quote Quote by RabbitWho View Post
I went to a catholic school and our priest was the one who told us that Jesus was born in the summer and that Christmas was chosen to compete with pagan rituals.
I still go to Catholic School and one of my former priests told us all of those things. He believed that a religion's history, even the bad parts, were important to learning the true meaning behind the religion.
I wish my priest and teachers now were more like him. I often tell all of my friends all of these things, but I do try to keep it to a minimum. One can easily get reprimanded in my school for, what many of my teachers believe is, belittling Catholicism.
RabbitWho
Jan2-13, 11:39 AM
P: 102
Quote Quote by Jow View Post
I still go to Catholic School and one of my former priests told us all of those things. He believed that a religion's history, even the bad parts, were important to learning the true meaning behind the religion.
I wish my priest and teachers now were more like him. I often tell all of my friends all of these things, but I do try to keep it to a minimum. One can easily get reprimanded in my school for, what many of my teachers believe is, belittling Catholicism.

That's hard :( They'll lose people with that attitude, they can't hope that when their students go out into the real world and are affronted with this they're just going to block their ears and say "la la la la". They should talk about it openly.

Also one of the nice things about religion is its connection with other subjects like history and the development of philosophy and art, okay, the art part isn't going to create any controversy.... but it's a pity to just ignore things like the church rejecting Descartes and then much later appropriating his ideas, that's fascinating!
Jimmy Snyder
Jan2-13, 01:23 PM
P: 2,163
Quote Quote by RabbitWho View Post
I don't think anyone actually objects but it would just sound pretty idiotic of me to say Merry Christmas to my Chinese friends.
Me too. I'd be more likely to say 聖誕快樂.
RabbitWho
Jan2-13, 01:43 PM
P: 102
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Me too. I'd be more likely to say 聖誕快樂.

Heh heh, good point, I'd be more likely to say Bones Festes!
Jow
Jan2-13, 01:55 PM
P: 67
Unless I am certain of a person's beliefs, customs etc. I greet them with the usual pleasantries. I wont even use "Happy Holidays" I simply say "Hello"/"Goodbye". If someone says "Merry Christmas" to me, I will say "Merry Christmas" back. It is the same if they say "Happy Hanukkah".
ZombieFeynman
Jan2-13, 06:47 PM
PF Gold
P: 235
I know someone who wishes everyone "happy solstice" and responds to everyone sneezing with "zeus strike the sickness from you."

Register to reply