What is the kPa (or psf) of metal furring as a ceiling dead load?

In summary, the conversation is about finding information on metal furring load for an analysis of a roof truss assignment. The person suggests checking a catalog of drywall finishing products and using 13psf for design load. They also mention looking up "furring channels" for metal furring products if the catalog does not have what they need. The conversation then shifts to a question about the colors of national and natural marble.
median27
I'm working on my analysis of roof truss assignment and got stuck on the computation of dead loads having no value for metal furring load. I only have the value for wood furring which is 0.12 kPa. I've been searching in the internet but still I'm not able to find it. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
SteamKing said:
Here is a catalog of various drywall finishing products:
http://www.marinoware.com/Products/drywall.asp?prod=Channels

You can also look up 'furring channels' for the metal furring products if the items in the catalog do not suit your purpose.

Thanks for the link!
I'll use 13psf for design load.

White marble metal furring

I would like to know what is the reason of national marble color whit and natural marble color black
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest reaching out to a structural engineer or consulting building codes for specific values for metal furring as a ceiling dead load. The dead load of metal furring can vary depending on the type of metal, thickness, spacing, and other factors. It is important to ensure accurate and up-to-date values are used in your analysis to ensure the safety and stability of the structure. Additionally, considering the specific application and design of the roof truss, the dead load of metal furring may not be a significant factor in the overall load calculation. It is always best to consult with a professional or refer to established building codes for accurate and reliable information.

1. What is the kPa (kilopascal) of metal furring as a ceiling dead load?

The kPa (kilopascal) of metal furring as a ceiling dead load can vary depending on the type of metal used, the thickness of the furring, and the spacing between furring members. Generally, metal furring can have a kPa range of 2-6 kPa (or 41-123 psf).

2. How is the kPa (or psf) of metal furring as a ceiling dead load determined?

The kPa (or psf) of metal furring as a ceiling dead load is determined by calculating the weight of the furring system, including the metal furring, fasteners, and any additional layers such as insulation or drywall. This weight is then converted to kPa or psf based on the area of the ceiling.

3. What factors can affect the kPa (or psf) of metal furring as a ceiling dead load?

The main factors that can affect the kPa (or psf) of metal furring as a ceiling dead load are the type and thickness of the metal used, the spacing between furring members, and the weight of any additional layers such as insulation or drywall. Other factors may include the condition and quality of the building structure.

4. How does the kPa (or psf) of metal furring as a ceiling dead load compare to other ceiling materials?

Metal furring typically has a higher kPa (or psf) compared to other ceiling materials such as wood or gypsum board. This is due to the strength and durability of metal as a building material. However, the exact kPa (or psf) can vary depending on the specific type and thickness of the metal used.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using metal furring as a ceiling dead load?

Yes, safety considerations should always be taken into account when using any type of ceiling dead load. Metal furring should be installed according to manufacturer's recommendations and building codes to ensure proper support and stability. It is also important to consider the weight of any additional layers and how they may affect the overall dead load of the ceiling.