Horrible TV Marathons

by Evo
Tags: horrible, marathons
Share this thread:
Evo
Jan1-13, 04:05 PM
Mentor
P: 26,524
I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come, TV marathons today. IMO, these shows shouldn't even exist.

TNL - Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

A&E - Storage Wars

History Channel - Swamp People

Life - Dance Moms (nastiest humans on earth)

National Geographic - Doomsday Preppers

Animal Channel - Finding Bigfoot

A bit of hope, PBS here aired all of Michael Palins "Himalaya"

Travel Channel - Mysteries at the Museum

I can't even imagine watching ONE episode of "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo", just watching a commercial for it is bad enough. Anyone found other bad marathons?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Borek
Jan1-13, 04:08 PM
Admin
P: 23,536
What is TV?
Jimmy Snyder
Jan1-13, 04:16 PM
P: 2,179
The Running Channel is doing a marathon marathon.

zoobyshoe
Jan1-13, 04:18 PM
P: 5,630
Horrible TV Marathons

I'm really tired of the annual Twilight Zone marathon on the Sci-Fi channel. However, I was grateful for the Walking Dead marathon on AMC last night.
Evo
Jan1-13, 04:18 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Lol.
dipole
Jan2-13, 09:54 PM
P: 436
Why even watch TV? You can get whatever content you want on the internet.
rootX
Jan2-13, 10:26 PM
P: 1,294
They had another baby show on TLC today, it was literally full of psychotic moms!!

I also really loved Michael Palins! I doubt there's anyone on the TV today like him. BBC is also good. I was just watching Hardtalk today where Stephen Sackur was grilling the Equatorial Guniea president with one after another tough question. I was really surprised to see how Sackur managed to pull all the interview so professionally.
phinds
Jan2-13, 10:36 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,286
Evo, I couldn't agree more with you about that Dance Mom thing. I surfed into that once and it is just unbelievably disgusting. It is shameful what those kids are being put up to. I think it's child abuse even if the kids don't know it.
WannabeNewton
Jan2-13, 10:44 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,592
Yes honey boo boo ftw <3...that girl is an inspiration for us all!
Evo
Jan2-13, 10:53 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
Evo, I couldn't agree more with you about that Dance Mom thing. I surfed into that once and it is just unbelievably disgusting. It is shameful what those kids are being put up to. I think it's child abuse even if the kids don't know it.
I'm just amazed that social services aren't intervening. The behaviour of those mothers is unacceptable. Of course, as in all reality shows, what you see is rarely real. There have been a number of lawsuits about shows being faked. But even a child subjected to this type of behaviour on a show is unacceptable, and I'm sure a lot of these women are probably as bad in real life. I have to wonder when the public is going to speak up and demand a halt to this insanity. Why is socially unacceptable behavior and mental cruelty the basis for entertainment? Ok, I can't believe I asked that.
1MileCrash
Jan2-13, 11:26 PM
P: 1,295
Swamp people is filmed a lot in my hometown, Pierre Part LA.
phinds
Jan3-13, 09:03 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,286
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I have to wonder when the public is going to speak up and demand a halt to this insanity.
Sadly, not likely to happen.

Why is socially unacceptable behavior and mental cruelty the basis for entertainment? Ok, I can't believe I asked that.
Well, you answered yourself on that one

It's all very sad and unfortunate.
BobG
Jan4-13, 01:02 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Even if they show episodes of Family Feud asking about marathons?

Worst type of shoes to wear in a marathon?

Shockingly, scuba flippers didn't receive enough votes to be listed!

Top answers:

Spoiler
1 High heels
2 Sandals
3 Boots
4 Dress shoes
5 Golf shoes
tahayassen
Jan4-13, 01:03 PM
P: 273
6 years without TV here.
turbo
Jan4-13, 01:31 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
When "Honey Boo Boo" gets old enough to realize what her mother did to her, she will be mortified. I have never seen the show, but the ads alone are cringe-worthy enough to preclude that. Now, THAT is child abuse. That little kid won't have a chance growing up.
zoobyshoe
Jan4-13, 05:08 PM
P: 5,630
Quote Quote by tahayassen View Post
6 years without TV here.
I went ten years without TV in my 20's and 30's. Never missed it for a second.
Evo
Jan4-13, 05:37 PM
Mentor
Here they come, the new season of shows trash. Finally, there is an uproar FINALLY over a show.

"All My Babies' Mamas," a one-hour reality special slated to air in the spring of 2013, features Carlos "Shawty Lo" Walker, an Atlanta-based hip-hop artist with 11 children by 10 different women. Oh, he's also got a 19-year-old girlfriend, who's a year shy of his oldest child.

"The focus of our outrage is that they would dare exploit the pain of these children and that Oxygen would promote this toxic situation to its young, impressionable female audience," Lamb, an author and cultural commentator

But network executives may be just as hellbent on attracting those young, impressionable women Lamb is talking about. In the show's press release, Cori Abraham, senior vice president of development for Oxygen Media promises, "All My Babies' Mamas" will be filled with outrageous and authentic over-the-top moments that our young, diverse female audience can tweet and gossip about."

"You've got a network with international reach telling a young female audience it's okay to have unprotected sex, that other women are enemies, that they're not valued by men, that their financial sustenance should come from a man, and that babies are just spectators in all of this," Lamb tells Shine.
http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/oxy...212100389.html

"tweet and gossip about???

Oxygen is Oprah's Network.
turbo
Jan4-13, 05:55 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Chiles also notes the irony of the network's history. "Painfully, Oxygen is the network that was started by, among others, Oprah Winfrey in 1998, with the brilliant idea of—wait for it—empowering women," he writes. "But 1998 was a loooong time ago. Since then, it was purchased by NBC Universal in 2007 for $925 million and any kind of mission about female empowerment was long ago abandoned."
I'm not a big fan of Oprah, but I don't think we can hang this on her.

Register to reply