Rectangle and set of points

by Numeriprimi
Tags: perimeter, rectangle
Share this thread:
Numeriprimi
Jan7-13, 08:36 AM
P: 138
I found one interesting example...

We have a rectangle ABCD with his perimeter o. Where is the set of points when their (for each point) sum of distance lines AB, BC, CD, DA is 2/3o ?

I tried it, but geometric problems is quite hard for me and I don't know how do it. So, have you got any idea?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
tiny-tim
Jan7-13, 10:40 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Quote Quote by Numeriprimi View Post
Where is the set of points when their (for each point) sum of distance lines AB, BC, CD, DA is 2/3o ?
Sorry, Numeriprimi, I don't understand.
Vargo
Jan7-13, 01:15 PM
P: 350
I think the problem is to identify the set of points X such that
[itex] d(X,AB)+d(X,BC)+d(X,CD)+d(X,DA)= \frac{2}{3}*\text{Perimeter of Rectangle ABCD}.[/itex]
The distances on the left hand side are lengths of perpendiculars dropped from the point X to the corresponding line. For example, if X lies inside the interior, then the left hand side would equal (1/2) the perimeter. So the locus cannot include points inside the rectangle. Without doing an explicit calculation, I bet the answer is an octogon.

Numeriprimi
Jan7-13, 03:37 PM
P: 138
Rectangle and set of points

Sorry for my English... And Vargo, yes, I mean this, thanks for wrote it in better form :-)
tiny-tim
Jan7-13, 05:51 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Thanks, Vargo!

Numeriprimi, divide the exterior of the rectangle into 8 sections (by extending the sides),

and consider each section separately
you should be able to find an easy equation for each section.
(and yes, it's an octagon!)

Register to reply