Register to reply

Prime Ideals

by Artusartos
Tags: ideals, prime
Share this thread:
Artusartos
Jan7-13, 02:16 PM
P: 248
I have a question about the proof that I attached...

1) Since R/I is not the zero ring, we know that [tex]1 \not= 0[/tex]. What is the reason to say [tex]1 + I \not= 0 + I[/tex] instead of [tex]1 \not= 0[/tex]?

2) Also, how do we compute something like (a+I)(b+I)? Isn't this correct [tex](a+I)(b+I) = ab+aI+bI+I^2[/tex]?

3) Finally, if we have something like R/I, how do we know if the elements in R/I are of the form a+I or aI? Or is it both (since it's a ring)?

Thank you in advance
Attached Thumbnails
20130107_144311.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
Number Nine
Jan7-13, 09:01 PM
P: 772
Also, how do we compute something like (a+I)(b+I)? Isn't this correct [tex](a+I)(b+I) = ab+aI+bI+I^2[/tex]?
Strictly, yes; but you didn't finish. How can you simplify it further, using what you know about ideals and multiplication?

Finally, if we have something like R/I, how do we know if the elements in R/I are of the form a+I or aI? Or is it both (since it's a ring)?
R/I is the quotient of R by the normal subgroup I of (R,+) satisfying the additional constraint that RI = I. The cosets are of the form a + I.

What is the reason to say [tex]1 + I \not= 0 + I[/tex]
We know that [itex]0 \in I[/itex] by definition, so [itex]0 + I = I[/itex]. We also know that [itex]I[/itex] is a proper ideal, so it can't contain 1 (what happens if an ideal contains a unit?). It follows that [itex]1 + I \neq I[/itex].

Register to reply