Register to reply

Being respected with a twitch

by FalconOne
Tags: respected, twitch
Share this thread:
FalconOne
Jan9-13, 12:36 PM
P: 38
I have an eye twitch/tic and I hate it. There's really nothing I can do about it and I can't take medication for it. But what I hate more than my twitch is the response people, physicists in particular, have toward it. I present well, but I almost always get docked points because my "presence" isn't that great due to the twitch. I stand tall, I don't fidget, speak well, etc. but that twitch gets me down. I watch videos of myself, and if I didn't have that twitch, my presentation would be so much more enjoyed. People have been very rude ("Are you winking at me?" when I'm presenting a poster to them) and it makes me worry about my future in the field.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should do to be better respected in graduate school so that my professors at least understand? Should I just inform them upfront about it? What about when I TA? I frequently get mocked by a student or two when I'm in front of a group of people. What can I do to make people see past it when I present my work? Am I "doomed" with regards to presenting?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Vanadium 50
Jan9-13, 04:20 PM
Mentor
P: 16,192
You're a military officer, right? What would you do if a junior enlisted did that to you? Do the same thing when a student does it.
FalconOne
Jan9-13, 04:28 PM
P: 38
I can quickly nip it in the bud when going home is at stake- or push ups... But what do you do with professors?

Vanadium 50
Jan9-13, 05:13 PM
Mentor
P: 16,192
Being respected with a twitch

"Professor, I am surprised that you said that. Do you mock all the disabled?"
Greg Bernhardt
Jan9-13, 05:23 PM
Admin
P: 9,334
Quote Quote by FalconOne View Post
Should I just inform them upfront about it?
Absolutely! They should be aware that it is not voluntary.

You can also work it into your "schtick". Own it. Make an appropriate and good natured joke about it in your intro. There are many famous people who are known for their oddity or tick. Make it an advantage. Make it something people will help remember you by (not solely of course).

Register to reply