by Spikeywan
Tags: crashes, magnets, stop
Share this thread:
Redbelly98
May16-10, 07:01 AM
Mentor
P: 12,069
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
He means wouldn't it be physically higher, i.e. as measured from the ground.
Oh! Thanks for clearing that up
odmart01
Oct5-10, 01:02 AM
P: 11
This is clearly not going to work out
Jayanco
Feb13-11, 05:40 AM
P: 1
The car magnet idea might not work, but I'm new to this and you all have sure made my brain work. :)
abhishek ghos
Feb13-11, 06:49 AM
P: 27
some mechanism which can measure the speeds of incoming cars, send signals, pulls up breaks and activates some magnetic repulsion, saves the day for two cars onto each other but there are other objects which can be a problem.
but the idea is cool and should be used in the time to come......
ElCuabnito
Jan10-13, 10:09 PM
What if we lay out a thin layering of magnets around the bottom portion of the car, said layer would have a positive charge. And the we could modify the magnets by connecting them to the cars power so that the strength of the magnetic would be directly affected by the speed and power exerted by the car. We could also attach small sensors on seperate areas of the magnetic layering so that if scrap metal does get attached to a section, then the power to that area would go to 0 and the scrap metal would fall off.
Drakkith
Jan10-13, 10:27 PM
Mentor
P: 11,868
Quote Quote by ElCuabnito View Post
What if we lay out a thin layering of magnets around the bottom portion of the car, said layer would have a positive charge. And the we could modify the magnets by connecting them to the cars power so that the strength of the magnetic would be directly affected by the speed and power exerted by the car. We could also attach small sensors on seperate areas of the magnetic layering so that if scrap metal does get attached to a section, then the power to that area would go to 0 and the scrap metal would fall off.
I believe page 1 explains the why the basic idea simply isn't feasible. The rest of the thread kind of hammers it in.
OmCheeto
Jan10-13, 10:59 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,431
Quote Quote by ElCuabnito View Post
Oh! I didn't know we had two magnets on car bumper threads.

I missed this one.

But I like your idea of collecting scrap metal with cars. Only I'd turn the magnets off when I got home. Scrap metal is valuable.

The linked thread above contains the calculations I performed on magnetic car bumpers.

And I did solve one of the problems mentioned in both threads with a Halbach array.

Though I still don't think they will prevent car crashes, I have come up with a different use for magnets in bumpers:

Tailgaters. When people insist on tailgating, they are psychologically pushing the car in front of them. Why not let them really do it, safely, with magnets! I'd be getting about 500 mpg if we could get these installed on everyones cars.
lortech
Jan11-13, 12:08 AM
P: 11
Obviosly the producers of Top-gear have no previous education in classical physics.

I never saw the episode but, there is no magnet that would offset the potentially huge amount of POTENTIAL ENERGY stored up in the mass x acceleration of the vehicle to offset any magnetic repulsion.

Now, if there was a large NEO magnet underneath the vehicle, that was suspended 1/4 inch off the ground, and the vehicle was at a constant rate of acceleration, then the car would slow down substantially if it were to transition from blacktop to a solid billet of aluminum it was moving over.

In Washington state, Department of Transportation do have trucks that have massive retractable crash boxes that do crumple in the event a car were to hit it. These are there to protect the workers.

BTW does anyone here have a good source of Rare Earth Neo magnets of different sizes that is very competitive in price?
Low-Q
Jan11-13, 08:21 AM
PF Gold
P: 244
Quote Quote by Spikeywan View Post
No question, I just wanted to share a thought...

I saw a very old episode of Top Gear last night, where he put magnets onto the front of two model cars, and drove them at each other. Because the magnets were orientated so that they would repel, the cars couldn't crash.

This was given as a way of preventing accidents.

However, if this was done with real cars, although the cars wouldn't touch each other, they would sustain just as much damage as if they had hit.
It would be pretty hard to drive east or west with 500kg neodymium magnets in the front

Instead, use a 1 meter thick block of EPP foam

Vidar
NanaToru
Jan12-13, 07:58 PM
P: 15
My initial thought was... wouldn't giant magnets like that mess with cell phones and heart monitors anyway?
OmCheeto
Jan13-13, 11:34 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,431
Quote Quote by Low-Q View Post
It would be pretty hard to drive east or west with 500kg neodymium magnets in the front

Instead, use a 1 meter thick block of EPP foam

Vidar
500 kg!

By my calculations, from my $800 6" diameter x 2" thick magnet, that would cost roughly $400,000!

Calculations on how to fit all those magnets(500!) on a vehicle not attempted.

56.5 cubic inches for a 6" x 2" magnet
7.00 specific gravity of neodymium
0.0164 weight of 1 cubic inch of water in kg
6.49 kg of $800 magnet
500 kg of magnets on Vidars car
506 magnets
$405,189 never mind
sophiecentaur
Jan13-13, 05:12 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,157
Did anyone consider the extra MASS that would be involved for a strong enough magnet?
If this idea was on TV it must have been April 1st, I think.
Khashishi
Jan15-13, 06:02 PM
P: 887
Permanent magnets won't do. But, how about an electromagnet that turns on when a crash is occurring? But, it would require a pulsed energy supply with an energy comparable to a car crash, over a few milliseconds. Then some dude decides to hack the energy systems into a railgun power source...
Drakkith
Jan15-13, 06:28 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Khashishi View Post
Permanent magnets won't do. But, how about an electromagnet that turns on when a crash is occurring? But, it would require a pulsed energy supply with an energy comparable to a car crash, over a few milliseconds. Then some dude decides to hack the energy systems into a railgun power source...
No, the entire idea of using magnets to make an accident safer is completely bogus. Other than the fact that it isn't going to work, for the cost, weight, and complexity of such a system you could simply add passive features that would actually save lives.
Khashishi
Jan15-13, 06:47 PM
P: 887
I know. I was just playing around with the idea of having railgun power sources on every car.
Arpiet
Aug20-13, 06:23 AM
Stop behaving like small kids you dont have a very simple idea
you all mean that if we place a net of magnet over the cars then due to the force of repulsion the cars will not collide but on the same hand the another pole exposed to the another side will attract the different pole and that could be a cause for the accident but my sweet companions if you place two magnets in such a way that their same pole (south pole) will face to every internal face and due to this all the cars will only have the north pole exposed to the outer and that will only prevent accident not it'll gonna cause it :-)
Drakkith
Aug20-13, 06:39 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Arpiet View Post
Stop behaving like small kids you dont have a very simple idea
you all mean that if we place a net of magnet over the cars then due to the force of repulsion the cars will not collide but on the same hand the another pole exposed to the another side will attract the different pole and that could be a cause for the accident but my sweet companions if you place two magnets in such a way that their same pole (south pole) will face to every internal face and due to this all the cars will only have the north pole exposed to the outer and that will only prevent accident not it'll gonna cause it :-)
I highly advise you to re-read the thread. It has already been explained that this concept is fundamentally flawed and will not work.
DaleSpam
Aug20-13, 06:49 AM
Mentor
P: 17,268
Hi Arpiet, welcome to PF!
Quote Quote by Arpiet View Post
if you place two magnets in such a way that their same pole (south pole) will face to every internal face and due to this all the cars will only have the north pole exposed to the outer
No, this arrangement would be a magnetic multipole, not a monopole. Other similar magnetic multipoles would be drawn to the joint between the two south poles. It would cause collisions if strong enough, and it would make them into side impact collisions where there is less of a crumple zone available.

Register to reply