physics classes with limited math background?

by NanaToru
Tags: background, classes, limited, math, physics
NanaToru
Jan11-13, 02:03 AM
P: 15
I'm a chemistry major, but when I entered uni 3 years ago I was actually a performance arts major. Needless to say, at the time I was quite terrified of all math and science, and it took a bit of easing into; but I had copped out with easier math series and easier physics series.

I'm excelling at my chemistry classes, including quantum mechanics, but that's as far as my linear algebra goes and I have never touched partial differential equations. I found that I really enjoy physics, but I don't have the math background--not to mention I was quite weak in it to begin with.

I'm taking an upper division cosmology class now, and I'm worried I will get overwhelmed... Any tips? Should I even bother with physics classes with my background?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
lisab
Jan11-13, 09:17 AM
Mentor
P: 2,917
Of course it's hard to say, as we don't know how rigorous the physics classes are. Do you meet the math prerequisites for the classes you want to take?
NanaToru
Jan11-13, 12:27 PM
Not really, I'm about 2 classes short. I was hoping hard work and math on the side would help, and I'm using Math Methods by Mary L Boas as a reference guide...

These classes typically require partial differentials and linear algebra as a prereq.

Woopydalan
Jan11-13, 01:20 PM
P: 746

physics classes with limited math background?

why do you need physics class if you are a chemistry major?
NanaToru
Jan11-13, 01:42 PM
Personal betterment and pleasure...

I find wonder in physics.
symbolipoint
Jan11-13, 01:44 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,693
Quote Quote by Woopydalan View Post
why do you need physics class if you are a chemistry major?
NanaToru,

With Chemistry as you major choice, you will need (as part of curriculum requirements) a few Physics courses. Both Chemistry and Physics require three semesters of Calculus, and depending on program and institution, maybe more (like linear algebra and maybe differential equations). These courses (Physics, Math, also the Chemistry) will be hard, so you just need to put in the effort, and maybe be willing to review sometimes.
Woopydalan
Jan11-13, 01:47 PM
P: 746
I think the question is not about an intro physics, but upper division classes with linear algebra/differential equations as prerequisites. I assume the OP has already taken the intro calc based physics class
NanaToru
Jan11-13, 01:49 PM
I've taken them already, but they didn't prepare me for other physics courses other than quantum... My question relates more to advanced courses.
NanaToru
Jan11-13, 01:50 PM
Thanks for your answers

Register to reply