Why is Entropy a concave function of internal energy?

by Wentu
Tags: entropy, microstates, temperature
Wentu
Jan14-13, 07:20 AM
P: 10
Hello

I may well be all wrong about this but I am trying to understand from a microscopic point of view why Entropy is a concave function of internal energy. I found this in the following .pdf:

http://physics.technion.ac.il/ckfind...potentials.pdf

I started from this wikipedia article and i understand why, if the particles composing the system have a limited number of available energy levels, then S(E) first increases and then decreases.

But saying that S(E) is concave should mean:
- when the temperature is T1, if i give a dE to the system its entropy increases of dS1
- when the tempereture is T2>T1, if I give the same dE to the system, its Entropy increases only of dS2 < dS1

I cannot see this with single particles.
If I have N particles in their lowest energy state there is only one microstate: all the particles are still.
If I give to this system the tiniest possible amount of energy, it will be taken by just one of the particle, so the possible microstates are N.
If I add another dE, the possible microstates should be N + N(N-1) = N^2 ... that is or one particle gets both dE or two different particles get it. Every time I add a dE I should increase the power of N.
Now, if the entropy is somehow proportional to the logarithm of the number of microstates, I should get S proportional to K ln(N^E), that is, something that is proportianl to E... taht is, no concavity

I am sure I am getting all this wrong... could you please help me understand this?

Thank You

Wentu
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
DrDu
Jan14-13, 07:27 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,369
Quote Quote by Wentu View Post
If I add another dE, the possible microstates should be N + N(N-1) = N^2 .
Where do you get the first N on the left hand side from?
Wentu
Jan14-13, 07:49 AM
The first N is for a single particle having 2*dE energy and all other particles ground energy

DrDu
Jan14-13, 08:08 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,369

Why is Entropy a concave function of internal energy?

Ah, ok. Shouldn't the second term should rather read N(N-1)/2?
Wentu
Jan14-13, 08:14 AM
You are right... I was considering distinguishble particles but this isn't enough, so yes, the term should be divided by 2. I wonder if this is enough to change the behaviour from linear to less-than-linear... I think the number of microstates still increases as a power with the increasing of E... but again, i could be all wrong

W.

Register to reply