Is x<=ky equivalent to x<y?

• Thread starter tragicmuffin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary: So, if x< y, then x< ky. In summary, the statement is always true because if k< 1, we can always find a value for k such that x< ky. However, if k is arbitrarily close to 1 (but not equal), the statement may not hold true.
tragicmuffin
I have a question on something that has come up many times for me in other contexts, such as Lipschitz transforms, and recently contraction mappings and the fixed point theorem.

Is the following statement always false, and why?

Let x and y be two positive real numbers.
[itex]\exists k<1 \,\, s.t. \,\, x \leq k\cdot y \, \Leftrightarrow \, x<y[/itex]

So far, I've always seen statements like this to be false, but I'm not sure why.

Thanks,
Jesse

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, yes. 0<k<1.

I can't say if its true or not but try to visualize it on a xy plane where the area under the line x=y is x<y versus the line x=ky.

Perhaps that will help you decide.

I guess the thing that I don't understand is that if k is strictly less than 1, can't we still make k as close to 1 as we want? Then wouldn't saying [itex]x \leq k \cdot y[/itex] where k is arbitrarily close to 1 (but not equal) be the same as saying [itex]x<1 \cdot y[/itex]?
It seems to me that changing the [itex]\leq[/itex] to [itex]<[/itex] would account for k not being equal to 1, only close.

In the example with the lines, the same idea would hold. We can make k arbitrarily close to 1, and thus make the line x=ky arbitrarily close to the line x=y.

tragicmuffin said:
I have a question on something that has come up many times for me in other contexts, such as Lipschitz transforms, and recently contraction mappings and the fixed point theorem.

Is the following statement always false, and why?

Let x and y be two positive real numbers.
[itex]\exists k<1 \,\, s.t. \,\, x \leq k\cdot y \, \Leftrightarrow \, x<y[/itex]

So far, I've always seen statements like this to be false, but I'm not sure why.

Thanks,
Jesse
If k< 1 then, mutiplying both sides by the positive number y, ky< y. So if x< ky, it is certainly true that x< y.

Conversely, if x< y, then x/y< 1 and so there exist k such that x/y< k< 1. That is, we have k< 1 and, multiplying both sides of x/y< k, x< ky.

1. Is x<=ky equivalent to x

Yes, x<=ky is equivalent to x

2. How can I prove that x<=ky is equivalent to x

You can prove this by using the definition of less than or equal to, which states that x<=ky if and only if x

3. Are there any differences between x<=ky and x

The only difference between x<=ky and x

4. Can x<=ky be used interchangeably with x

Yes, x<=ky can be used interchangeably with x

5. Is x<=ky considered a strict inequality?

No, x<=ky is not considered a strict inequality because it includes the possibility of x being equal to y.