Problems with divergence

by Summer2442
Tags: divergence
Share this thread:
Summer2442
Jan16-13, 11:58 AM
P: 8
Hello,

I am new to calculus, and am having problems with divergence, I was reading something to explain the physical interpretation of divergence and i got stuck in the very first part.

it says that if we have a small volume dxdydz at the origin, and that a fluid flowing into this volume from the positive x-direction per unit time, the the rate of flow in is
= ρvx|x=0 = dy dz,
where ρ is the density at (x, y, z), and vx is the velocity of the fluid in the x-direction, what does "|x=0 = dy dz" part mean.

Thanks Alot.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Erland
Jan16-13, 04:59 PM
P: 345
"|x=0" probably means that the function, here ρvx, should be evaluauted at x=0. So they imagine the volume element as a cuboid with one vertex at the origin and the sides as dx, dy, and dz in the posotive directions. One face of the cuboid is then contained in the plane x=0.

The flux into the volume through this face is then ρvxdydz, so something seems wrong in what you wrote anyway.

Btw, you wrote "from the positive x-direction", but I assume that you meant "along the positive x-direction", so that positive vx is directed to the right.
Summer2442
Jan16-13, 05:57 PM
yes what i meant is "along the positive x-direction"

but about the flux into the volume, i agree that it should be 'ρvxdydz' but i am pretty sure this is what the book says 'ρvx|x=0 = dy dz', i think its a mistake.

I have another question please, it then says that the flux out of the opposing face is
ρvx|x=dx dydz
which i understand but then it equates this equation with the following
[ρvx + ∂ (ρvx)/∂x dx] dydz
which i do not understand, how was the partial derivative introduced and why?

thanks,

Erland
Jan17-13, 12:56 PM
P: 345
Problems with divergence

Quote Quote by Summer2442 View Post
yes what i meant is "along the positive x-direction"

but about the flux into the volume, i agree that it should be 'ρvxdydz' but i am pretty sure this is what the book says 'ρvx|x=0 = dy dz', i think its a mistake.
Yes, it is a typo. It should be ρvx|x=0dxdy.

Quote Quote by Summer2442 View Post
I have another question please, it then says that the flux out of the opposing face is
ρvx|x=dx dydz
which i understand but then it equates this equation with the following
[ρvx + ∂ (ρvx)/∂x dx] dydz
which i do not understand, how was the partial derivative introduced and why?

thanks,
The second expression is a linear approximation of the first one.

Recall that (ρvx|x=dx - ρvx|x=0)/dx ≈ ∂(ρvx)/∂x|x=0.
engnr_arsalan
Jan17-13, 01:57 PM
P: 41
i think it is talking about mass flow rate... density X velocity X area=flow rate..or more precisely mass flow rate..it says rho X V X x such that at x=0 area is dy dz..for differential element the area perpendicular to flow in x direction is dydz...
the second thing is taylor's theorem is being applied here..which means when fluid has flowed a length dx its mass flowrate has changed depnding upon dx..that is why patial derivative is introduced here..
Summer2442
Jan17-13, 05:24 PM
Ok I get it now, thanks guys.

Register to reply