International Nuclear Engineering Internships

In summary, Alex is planning to pursue a PhD in nuclear engineering at the University of Michigan, and is seeking an internship in research. She is interested in Spain, England, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Mexico, but is not interested in Asia. She is fluent in Spanish and can communicate in English at a power plant, but may have difficulty if she is seeking an internship in a non-English speaking country.
acusick
Hey everyone,

I will be graduating from the Nuclear Engineering program at the University of Michigan in a few months, and will be starting a PhD here next year. This summer, I would like to kill 3 birds with one stone: to travel, to gain experience in the field, and to get paid at least enough to support myself while I am there (and some travel expenses).

I would like to get an internship in research, but I am willing to work at a reactor if I have to. I speak Spanish decently, and want to look into Spain/Argentina/Mexico, however I don't know what kind of research they have going on. Spain, England, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, etc. would be my top European candidates if at all possible, but I do not speak French of German. I am less interested in Asia, but am in India and South Africa.

Where can I look for an international internship from ~end of May to the end of August? Is there an online database that is good? Can I get a research position? Would I be able to find a power plant job more easily? What about the language barrier if it is not an English/Spanish speaking country?

I would like this to be a good transition from undergraduate to graduate studies. Power plants have a lot to offer, but I would like to do more research oriented work. My interests are as follows: fuel materials, fuel cycles, generation IV concepts, structural materials, cladding, reactor kinetics, core design, accelerators, ion implantation, etc.

Thanks a lot,
Alex

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey, don't know if this will help. I'm studying nuclear engineering (Master's level) in France. I'm at the INSTN CEA Cadarache. Take a look online at the CEA Cadarache Stage (google should get you there), they traditionally post stages (french word for internship) that are for april -august/september.

However generally the internships are integrated with your education, so basically your university would need to back you (not necessarily financially, but rather in signing an internship contract), the system is a little weird here. It's also getting a little late.

The CEA (Atomic Energy Comission) is their national nuclear research organization where they look at Gen4 and ITER and such.

Also I know a French girl here was just trying to find an internship at the University of Michigan for herself, she was talking to Sarah Pozzi I believe who is a professor there. She might have contacts here and be able to help you. As for language in a research institue I'm sure you'd have no problem getting by just on English. At a power plant, that would not be the case.

IAEA is one possibility.
http://www.iaea.org/About/Jobs/internships.html

If one is interested in a Spanish-speaking country, then perhaps the Spanish utility Iberdrola/Iberinco or the fuel vendor ENUSA would be of interest. One could look through La Sociedad Nuclear Española - http://www.sne.es/

La Asociación Española de la Industria Eléctrica - http://www.unesa.es/

Enusa Industrias Avanzadas, S.A. - http://www.enusa.es/

In Argentina, there maybe opportunities at Atucha or Embalse (CANDUs) operated by Nucleoelectrica Argentina SA.

http://www.na-sa.com.ar/centrales

Or try COMISIÓN NACIONAL DE ENERGÍA ATÓMICA - http://www.cnea.gov.ar/

Last edited:
acusick said:
Hey everyone,

I will be graduating from the Nuclear Engineering program at the University of Michigan in a few months, and will be starting a PhD here next year. This summer, I would like to kill 3 birds with one stone: to travel, to gain experience in the field, and to get paid at least enough to support myself while I am there (and some travel expenses).

I would like to get an internship in research, but I am willing to work at a reactor if I have to. I speak Spanish decently, and want to look into Spain/Argentina/Mexico, however I don't know what kind of research they have going on. Spain, England, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, etc. would be my top European candidates if at all possible, but I do not speak French of German. I am less interested in Asia, but am in India and South Africa.

Where can I look for an international internship from ~end of May to the end of August? Is there an online database that is good? Can I get a research position? Would I be able to find a power plant job more easily? What about the language barrier if it is not an English/Spanish speaking country?

I would like this to be a good transition from undergraduate to graduate studies. Power plants have a lot to offer, but I would like to do more research oriented work. My interests are as follows: fuel materials, fuel cycles, generation IV concepts, structural materials, cladding, reactor kinetics, core design, accelerators, ion implantation, etc.

Thanks a lot,
Alex

Congratulations to your graduation! I am deeply envious of the education you received.And i am a sophomore in a chinese university, majoring in nuclear engineering too. The rapid development of chinese nuclear industry has provided us a good chance to work with a not-bad salary in the future.However, as well as you are,i am more interested in research study and i am dreaming of design a more effective more safer reactor with my colleagues(maybe sounds funny).But,i don't think heighly of the education idea of our college becouse we don't have much opportunities to practice what we have learn.I have known the University of Michigan ranked NO.1 in the fields of nuclear engineering in US,so i wish i will have the chance to study in your university.For this simple reason,i am studying English without stint. I am pity i can't solve your problem for i don't have much information.But can you do me a favour? Can you give me some nuclear engineering professors' Email? I want to ask them some questions about the procedure and requset of application. I will be grateful to your help. waiting your reply.

yours
chengqi

Hi,

I am a Post Graduate student in Nuclear Engineering, at Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University, INDIA.

We have Final year as project. I would like to apply for internship program in reputed organisation as my project work.

Can you suggest me any organisation where I can apply or even a University in USA.

If joined in University I may go ahead to do PhD too.

My term begins from Mid-July 2011 till End-May 2012, almost about Eleven months.

Anticipating your favourable reply.

Regards,
Manit Shah.

Hey everyone,

I will be graduating from the Nuclear Engineering program at Ecole des mines de nantes, France in a few months. I would like to get an internship in university of michigan as a part of my academics and i have to start from feb or march and it should be for 6 months. I am looking for the right contact.

my interests are as follows: waste management, radio active protection, safety, fuel materials, fuel cycles, generation IV concepts, structural materials, cladding, reactor kinetics, core design, accelerators, ion implantation, etc.

Thanks in advance for the favor.

Thanks a lot,
Guru

venkatan said:
Hey everyone,

I will be graduating from the Nuclear Engineering program at Ecole des mines de nantes, France in a few months. I would like to get an internship in university of michigan as a part of my academics and i have to start from feb or march and it should be for 6 months. I am looking for the right contact.

my interests are as follows: waste management, radio active protection, safety, fuel materials, fuel cycles, generation IV concepts, structural materials, cladding, reactor kinetics, core design, accelerators, ion implantation, etc.
That's a broad range of interests.

Cladding is very specific, so one my think about fuel and core materials.

NERS Internships for Non-UM Students
Students requesting internships to complete degree requirements should contact the specific NERS professor with whom you wish to study. You are not considered a NERS student and we ask that you not contact admissions. You would work directly with the professor accepting you as an intern and administration. Please make it clear you are completing degree requirements for your institution and not applying as a NERS graduate student.

http://www-ners.engin.umich.edu/about

http://www-ners.engin.umich.edu/people/faculty

You are basically saying you are interested in all of nuclear engineering...

I got a bachelor's and master's from U of M NERS, and am doing a PhD there in MS&E (still doing radiation damage but the department I like better). The professors there study very specific aspects of the field, so I would suggest finding the faculty that interest you the most and just contacting them directly. Contact all of them if you have to, but don't let them know that ha.

For neutronics/kinetics/controls/etc, you will be mainly interested in Martin, Downar, and Lee.

For materials, you will be interested in Was and Wang. Atzmon is an option but he does not do radiation damage. Word to the wise, Was is top notch but he is not fun to work for. The others are all pretty cool from what I hear.

You can also ask Peggy Gramer @ pjgramer@umich.edu if she knows a profeesor looking for someone.

Let me know if I can help further.

Thats a very useful reply. And i will contact them. May i know whether the interns are salaried or not? because i have heard that they do not pay interns.

Thank you.

venkatan said:
Thats a very useful reply. And i will contact them. May i know whether the interns are salaried or not? because i have heard that they do not pay interns.

Thank you.

As far as I know, IAEA internships are not paid directly, however they can provide some money to cover living expenses. I don't know about UoM, they may offer something similar.

I wouldn't rule out an internship just because it's not paid (not that I'm implying you would!). The skills and experience you could gain from your time there would be worth far more than whatever money you could get over those 6 months. Definitely go for it, and best of luck with your application!

What is an international nuclear engineering internship?

An international nuclear engineering internship is a program where students or professionals in the field of nuclear engineering have the opportunity to gain practical experience by working in a nuclear engineering company or organization in a different country.

What are the benefits of participating in an international nuclear engineering internship?

Participating in an international nuclear engineering internship can provide numerous benefits such as gaining hands-on experience in a different country with different regulations and practices, building a global network of professionals, and increasing cultural awareness and understanding.

How can one apply for an international nuclear engineering internship?

The application process for an international nuclear engineering internship may vary depending on the organization or company. However, common steps include submitting a resume or CV, completing an application form, and possibly participating in an interview. It is important to research and follow the specific application instructions provided by the internship program.

Are international nuclear engineering internships paid?

Some international nuclear engineering internships may offer compensation in the form of a stipend or salary. However, not all internships are paid and it is important to research and understand the compensation structure of the specific program before applying.

What skills or qualifications are required for an international nuclear engineering internship?

The required skills or qualifications for an international nuclear engineering internship may vary depending on the organization or company. However, some common requirements may include a background in nuclear engineering or a related field, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to adapt to new environments and cultures.