AC vs DC: Debunking Myths and Examining Modern Usage

• Thread starter Swiss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Dc
In summary, the conversation addresses questions and discussion on AC and DC, with the first question asking about Nikola Tesla's contributions to the field and the second question inquiring about their usage in modern society. The response states that while AC is the system of choice, DC is used for long distance and international links due to lower losses. The conversation also touches on the over-romanticization of Tesla and his work.
Swiss
Hello, All!

This is a thread that should address my questions and evolve into a general discussion on AC and DC for the purpose of interest.

My first question is: What did Nikola Tesla add to the field of electronics and AC? I've read all over the web two conflicting ideas 1) Tesla is God, Edison is the Devil and 2) Tesla added little to an already rich field. To what degree, if any, are either of these two ideas correct?

My second question is: How are AC and DC used in today's modern society and was there a 'winner' to the current wars?

While my knowledge is limited in the field, which shows through the way in which I am asking the questions, answers in full detail would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Of course there was a 'winner' for Power distribution. AC has been the system of choice for a hundred years, for good reason. However, for really long distance and international links, DC is used as the losses are less and you don't need synchronism between the systems. It's at least 40:15 in AC's favour.

Tesla was, to my mind, judged correctly by his peers and has been over romanticised by the public later on. What he did was very useful but what he 'talked about doing' has been picked up by his 'followers' and now and is now up amongst all the other Myths of our time, like the Faked Moon landings and the area 51 thing. The Tesla Transformer is such a sexy beast to see that he won the hearts of millions of punters. Good luck to him but he was more like a Clive Sinclair or Alan Sugar, imo, than a Paul Dirac.

1. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is a type of electrical current that periodically changes direction, whereas DC (direct current) electricity flows in only one direction. This difference in current direction leads to different properties and uses for each type of electricity.

2. Who is credited with inventing AC and DC electricity?

The concept of AC electricity was discovered by Nikola Tesla in the late 19th century, while the development of DC electricity can be attributed to Thomas Edison.

3. What are the main uses of AC and DC electricity?

AC electricity is primarily used for powering large scale electrical systems such as power grids, while DC electricity is commonly used in smaller electronic devices such as computers and cell phones. AC is also used for long-distance transmission of electricity, while DC is better suited for short-distance transmission and storage.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of AC and DC electricity?

One advantage of AC electricity is that it can be easily converted to different voltages, making it suitable for long-distance transmission. On the other hand, DC electricity is more efficient for smaller scale use and can be easily stored in batteries. Some disadvantages of AC electricity include the need for frequent voltage changes and the potential for electromagnetic interference, while DC electricity can be expensive to convert to different voltages.

5. How is AC and DC electricity used in everyday life?

AC electricity is used in a variety of household appliances, such as refrigerators and air conditioners, as well as in lighting fixtures. DC electricity is commonly found in electronic devices, such as laptops and televisions, and is also used in automobiles to power the battery and starter motor.