Register to reply

Triangle angles >180 embedded

by Pjpic
Tags: embedded triangles
Share this thread:
Pjpic
Jan24-13, 06:47 AM
P: 162
Is it possible that a triangle with angles totaling over 180 degrees could exist without being embedded in a 3rd dimension?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
HallsofIvy
Jan24-13, 07:04 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,556
If you are talking about Euclidean geometry then, no. Of course, you can have a hyperbolic two dimensional geometry without it being imbedded in a three dimensional Euclidean geometry.
Pjpic
Jan24-13, 07:28 AM
P: 162
a hyperbolic two dimensional geometry without it being imbedded

Does this have something to do with it being "intrinsic"?

mathwonk
Jan24-13, 04:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,488
Triangle angles >180 embedded

to speak of the sum of angles in a triangle in a geometry you just need some way to compare angles, AND ADD THEM AND THEN TO SAY THAT THE SUM OF ANGLES IN A TRIANGLE IS MORE THAN (oops) a straight angle.

if you want to prove such examples exist, it depends what your standards of belief are. if you are someone who believes only in euclidean space, then for you it is necessary to find every other example embedded there.

it is quite consistent to imagine spherical or hyperbolic geometries, where triangles add to other than a straight angle, but to produce examples of them, we often look in euclidean space of higher dimension.

i think Halls meant that for a triangle with angle sum more than a straight angle, we probably look in a spherical geometry, and for less, in a hyperbolic geometry.
HallsofIvy
Jan25-13, 09:33 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,556
I always get "hyperbolic" and "elliptic" geometries confused! Of course, I should just associate "ellipsoid" with "spherical".

Register to reply