Proving F(x) = ∫[0,x] exp(-t^2) is odd.

by peripatein
Tags: 𕖮, expt2, proving
peripatein
Jan24-13, 03:18 PM
P: 816
Hi,
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Any idea how I might demonstrate that F(x)=∫ [0,x] exp(-t^2) dt is odd?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Will it be by showing that ∫[-x,x] exp(-t^2) = 0?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Mark44
Jan24-13, 03:22 PM
Mentor
P: 21,069
Quote Quote by peripatein View Post
Hi,

2. Relevant equations
Wouldn't the definition of "odd function" be relevant?

No, I don't think so.
Dick
Jan24-13, 03:23 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,175
Hi,

2. Relevant equations

That's not true. You do it by showing F(-x)=(-F(x)).

peripatein
Jan24-13, 03:30 PM

Proving F(x) = ∫[0,x] exp(-t^2) is odd.

I know that a function is odd if F(x)=-F(-x). But how may I show that that is indeed the case for the above function?
jbunniii
Jan24-13, 03:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,933
I know that a function is odd if F(x)=-F(-x). But how may I show that that is indeed the case for the above function?
Try substituting -x for x and see what you get.
HallsofIvy
Jan24-13, 03:38 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,900
It's fairly easy to show that a function is odd if and only if its derivative is even. And, by the "fundamental theorem of Calculus" [itex]F'= e^{-x^2}[/itex].
peripatein
Jan24-13, 04:08 PM
Actually, I did initially manage to show that the derivative was even. Problem is, I had no idea that would mean the function itself was odd!
For you, HallsofIvy, it might be fairly easy. I would have to mull over it. May I demonstrate that by simple integration on both sides, or is it more intricate than that?
Dick
Jan24-13, 04:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Actually, I did initially manage to show that the derivative was even. Problem is, I had no idea that would mean the function itself was odd!
For you, HallsofIvy, it might be fairly easy. I would have to mull over it. May I demonstrate that by simple integration on both sides, or is it more intricate than that?
The way you show it is basically the same as jbunniii's suggestion. Write the integral for F(-x) and do the substitution t->(-t) in the integral.
peripatein
Jan24-13, 04:40 PM
I did that too, Dick! Leaves me with a proof that int[0,x]exp(-t^2)=-int[0,-x]exp(-t^2), which I am not sure how to approach.
In my previous reply I was wondering how to demonstrate even derivative implies odd function.
Dick
Jan24-13, 04:45 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
I did that too, Dick! Leaves me with a proof that int[0,x]exp(-t^2)=-int[0,-x]exp(-t^2), which I am not sure how to approach.
In my previous reply I was wondering how to demonstrate even derivative implies odd function.
Take int[0,-x]exp(-t^2)dt. Do the u-substitution u=(-t), du=(-dt). And don't forget to change the limits. If t goes from 0 to -x, what are the limits for u? Since F'(x)=exp(-t^2) you can substitute any even function for exp(-t^2) and the same proof works.
peripatein
Jan24-13, 05:01 PM
Wouldn't that leave me to prove that int[0,x] exp(-u^2)du + int[0,-x]exp(-u^2)du=0?
Dick
Jan24-13, 05:08 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Wouldn't that leave me to prove that int[0,x] exp(-u^2)du + int[0,-x]exp(-u^2)du=0?
That would be true. Why are you expressing it as a sum?
peripatein
Jan24-13, 05:13 PM
I am sorry, but I fail to see how that got me closer to proving the original statement. I mean, how is this integral different than the one with dt? What's eluding me?
Dick
Jan24-13, 05:16 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
I am sorry, but I fail to see how that got me closer to proving the original statement. I mean, how is this integral different than the one with dt? What's eluding me?
I don't know. Can you show me what you get if you follow the suggestions in post 10? You should just get one transformed integral with a u variable instead of t. What is it?
peripatein
Jan24-13, 05:39 PM
Could you please explain to me why I could substitute any even function? I understand that the proof would still work, but would that be rigorous enough? What would the formal justification for such a maneuver be?
Dick
Jan24-13, 05:45 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Could you please explain to me why I could substitute any even function? I understand that the proof would still work, but would that be rigorous enough? What would the formal justification for such a maneuver be?
Mmm. I just meant that once you prove it then if they give you f(t) and tell you f(t) is even instead of exp(-t^2) the same proof works. I wasn't trying to say anything fancy.
D H
Jan24-13, 06:04 PM
Mentor
P: 14,477
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
It's fairly easy to show that a function is odd if and only if its derivative is even.
I disagree with the "if" part. That f'(x) is an even function is a necessary but not sufficient condition for f(x) being an odd function. Example: f(x)=1 has an even derivative but obviously isn't an odd function.

Having f(0)=0 is a sufficient but not necessary condition for f(x) being an odd function. Example: f(x)=1/x is odd, but f(0) does not exist.
peripatein
Jan24-13, 06:04 PM
Okay, then I am still left with the seeming difficulty in seeing how the du substitution facilitated things. I believe you have expressed your approval of the expression I obtained having performed that substitution (post 12).

Register to reply