Register to reply

Help with integral

by jaygatsby
Tags: integral
Share this thread:
jaygatsby
Jan27-13, 10:29 AM
P: 3
This is not a homework problem, but a problem in the textbook that is not required. I am doing this to get a handle on the topic.

I am evaluating a Fourier transform, without tables, and need to evaluate this integral:

[tex]
\int e^{-t} * sin(2 \pi f_c t) * e^{-j2 \pi ft} dt
[/tex]

I have tried two methods: 1) integration by parts, and 2) integration after expressing the sine function as a complex exponentials. I get stuck in both cases.

The asterisks are there to assist with clarity of spacing. Thanks for any help you can provide,
J
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
mathman
Jan27-13, 04:06 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,038
Use Euler formula to get exp(-t)*trig function. This is a standard integral (find in table).

Trig function: sin(at), integral = a/(1 + a2)
cos(at), integral = 1/(1 + a2)
(a > 0 for both)
jaygatsby
Jan27-13, 06:49 PM
Thanks, I did try Euler's formula but then worked the integral out manually (attempted to...)

So this integral I would find in the table exclusively, and never try without a table? The way the drill is stated in the book (not a homework problem.), I wonder if I am to work it out without a table.

Thanks,
J

mathman
Jan28-13, 02:32 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,038
Help with integral

You can integrate by parts twice to get an equation involving the original integral.

I(exp(-t)cos(at)) = 1 + aI(exp(-t)sin(at)) = 1 - a2I(exp(-t)cos(at))

Similarly for sin(at) integral.
jaygatsby
Jan28-13, 04:22 PM
Thank you

Register to reply