Finding a limit

by Mathoholic!
Tags: limit
Mathoholic!
Jan27-13, 01:13 AM
P: 49
I'm familiarized with finding limits of most kinds of functions. I was struck by a problem: What if the variables of the function belong to different sets of numbers?

My point being, given the function:

f(n,q)=[itex]\frac{n}{q}[/itex]

With n belonging to the set of natural numbers and q belonging to the set of rational numbers.

How do I avaluate the following limit (if possible):

lim f(n,q) as n→∞ and q→∞

This may be a silly question but care to answer please.

Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
JonDrew
Jan27-13, 01:56 AM
P: 83
I am not 100% certain but I believe L'Hospital's rule still applies to multivariable functions if both the top and bottom functions are going to infinity. That would make:

lim f(n,q) as n→∞ and q→∞ = 1

only because you can take the derivative of what is upstairs and the derivative of what is downstairs with simplicity. I don't think this method would work if you had say, a function like:

f(n,q) = (n+q) / (q-n)^2

because then you would have multiple variables locked upstairs and downstairs and it would become a mess with partial derivations.
rollingstein
Jan27-13, 02:05 AM
P: 305
That function is discontinous along one axis. Don't think L'Hospital can be used then.

Curious3141
Jan27-13, 02:06 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,874

Finding a limit

Quote Quote by Mathoholic! View Post
I'm familiarized with finding limits of most kinds of functions. I was struck by a problem: What if the variables of the function belong to different sets of numbers?

My point being, given the function:

f(n,q)=[itex]\frac{n}{q}[/itex]

With n belonging to the set of natural numbers and q belonging to the set of rational numbers.

This may be a silly question but care to answer please.

Thank you
You have to define your n and q better.

As an example, let's take the limit ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\lfloor x \rfloor}{x}##, where ##x \in \mathbb{R}##

You can't simply apply L' Hopital's because the numerator is a discontinuous function.

But you can find the limit by defining the fractional part of x as ##\{x\}## and rewriting the limit as:

##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x - \{x\}}{x} = 1 - \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\{x\}}{x} = 1##

So a lot depends on exactly what you intend the numerator and denominator to signify.
pwsnafu
Jan27-13, 02:09 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 778
Quote Quote by Mathoholic! View Post

Do you mean ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\lim_{q \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n}{q}## or ##\lim_{q \rightarrow \infty} \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n}{q}##?

I was struck by a problem: What if the variables of the function belong to different sets of numbers?
The general theory is that of nets.
JonDrew
Jan27-13, 12:28 PM
P: 83
Quote Quote by Curious3141 View Post
You have to define your n and q better.

As an example, let's take the limit ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\lfloor x \rfloor}{x}##, where ##x \in \mathbb{R}##

You can't simply apply L' Hopital's because the numerator is a discontinuous function.

But you can find the limit by defining the fractional part of x as ##\{x\}## and rewriting the limit as:

##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x - \{x\}}{x} = 1 - \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\{x\}}{x} = 1##

So a lot depends on exactly what you intend the numerator and denominator to signify.
Very cool! Thanks for the correction.

Register to reply