Register to reply

Photomagnetic effect

by Young Learner
Tags: effect, photomagnetic
Share this thread:
Young Learner
Jan27-13, 09:01 AM
P: 41
I have a fair bit of idea about photo magnetic effect. But, after several hours of googling I am not able to find a material which exhibits photomagnetic effect. I just wanted to know if photomagnetic effect is possible in normal room temperature conditions, because I came across a thread saying photomagnetic effect is possible at -259 degree Celsius.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
dlgoff
Jan27-13, 11:42 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,726
What you are looking is called a magneto-optic effect. In particular, the Faraday effect
... causes a rotation of the plane of polarization which is linearly proportional to the component of the magnetic field in the direction of propagation.
Young Learner
Jan27-13, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the reply
Is Magneto-Optic effect is a phenomenon where light passed through a material produces magnetic field?. I just wanted to know about a material which should produce a magnetic field when light is passed through it in normal temperature surroundings.

berkeman
Jan28-13, 06:10 PM
Mentor
P: 41,109
Photomagnetic effect

Quote Quote by Young Learner View Post
I have a fair bit of idea about photo magnetic effect. But, after several hours of googling I am not able to find a material which exhibits photomagnetic effect. I just wanted to know if photomagnetic effect is possible in normal room temperature conditions, because I came across a thread saying photomagnetic effect is possible at -259 degree Celsius.
Quote Quote by Young Learner View Post
Thanks for the reply
Is Magneto-Optic effect is a phenomenon where light passed through a material produces magnetic field?. I just wanted to know about a material which should produce a magnetic field when light is passed through it in normal temperature surroundings.
Could you post a link to the low-temperature article?
Young Learner
Jan29-13, 07:49 AM
I was not able to find the -259 degree Celsius link but the link which I have mentioned below is a new one.
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login...mber%3D1066522

Register to reply