Photomagnetic effect

by Young Learner
Tags: effect, photomagnetic
Young Learner
Jan27-13, 09:01 AM
P: 41
I have a fair bit of idea about photo magnetic effect. But, after several hours of googling I am not able to find a material which exhibits photomagnetic effect. I just wanted to know if photomagnetic effect is possible in normal room temperature conditions, because I came across a thread saying photomagnetic effect is possible at -259 degree Celsius.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Scientists observe quantum superconductor-metal transition and superconducting glass
New technique detects microscopic diabetes-related eye damage
dlgoff
Jan27-13, 11:42 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,631
What you are looking is called a magneto-optic effect. In particular, the Faraday effect
... causes a rotation of the plane of polarization which is linearly proportional to the component of the magnetic field in the direction of propagation.
Young Learner
Jan27-13, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the reply
Is Magneto-Optic effect is a phenomenon where light passed through a material produces magnetic field?. I just wanted to know about a material which should produce a magnetic field when light is passed through it in normal temperature surroundings.

berkeman
Jan28-13, 06:10 PM
Mentor
P: 39,600

Photomagnetic effect

Quote Quote by Young Learner View Post
I have a fair bit of idea about photo magnetic effect. But, after several hours of googling I am not able to find a material which exhibits photomagnetic effect. I just wanted to know if photomagnetic effect is possible in normal room temperature conditions, because I came across a thread saying photomagnetic effect is possible at -259 degree Celsius.
Quote Quote by Young Learner View Post
Thanks for the reply
Is Magneto-Optic effect is a phenomenon where light passed through a material produces magnetic field?. I just wanted to know about a material which should produce a magnetic field when light is passed through it in normal temperature surroundings.
Could you post a link to the low-temperature article?
Young Learner
Jan29-13, 07:49 AM
I was not able to find the -259 degree Celsius link but the link which I have mentioned below is a new one.
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login...mber%3D1066522

Register to reply