Register to reply

How to understand differential geometry

by phyky
Tags: differential, geometry
Share this thread:
phyky
Jan29-13, 04:04 AM
P: 57
the differential geometry is so abstract to understand. All are terms and theorem. How to understand it? can someone give me some method and guidance to learn it. HELP!!!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
quasar987
Jan29-13, 06:37 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,771
Yes. Learn the differential geometry of curves and surfaces first!

Some books:

Differential Geometry - Wolfgang Kühnel

Elementary Differential Geometry - Barrett O'Neill

Elementary Differential Geometry - Andrew Pressley
phyky
Jan29-13, 07:52 AM
is differential geometry a neccessary tool for physics? I find my space conceptual is bad ><
It do not like calculus gt method to refer and practise. All are conceptual derivative!!!

quasar987
Jan29-13, 09:19 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,771
How to understand differential geometry

I won't pretend I understood your last post but if you still find elementary differential geometry of curves and surfaces is too abstract, it might be because you do not have the correct geometrical interpretation/intuition for derivatives of maps R^n-->R^m. In this case, you need to read something like

Elementary Classical Analysis - Marsden & Hoffman

Calculus on Manifolds - Spivak
phyky
Jan29-13, 08:32 PM
Thanks. This is much more easy to understand. Seems like my basis is not strong enough to proceed to diff geo...
mathwonk
Jan31-13, 09:00 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,499
have you looked at the books of david henderson?

Register to reply