Register to reply

What is a phasor

by azolotor
Tags: phasor
Share this thread:
azolotor
Jan29-13, 06:13 PM
P: 9
Could someone please give me an explanation of what we mean we say phasor please. We went over phasors in class today and I understood all the manipulations we were doing for superposition but my professor mentioned phasors and never said what they were. I have looked up several definitions but it isn't gelling for me. Thanks in advance!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Andrew Mason
Jan29-13, 11:02 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,654
Quote Quote by azolotor View Post
Could someone please give me an explanation of what we mean we say phasor please. We went over phasors in class today and I understood all the manipulations we were doing for superposition but my professor mentioned phasors and never said what they were. I have looked up several definitions but it isn't gelling for me. Thanks in advance!
Was he talking about Star Trek or electricity?

Phasors are vectors drawn in a circle to represent the phase differences of alternating current or voltages so that values can be calculated.

AM
NascentOxygen
Jan30-13, 06:13 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,165
Quote Quote by azolotor View Post
Could someone please give me an explanation of what we mean we say phasor please.
A phasor is a rotating vector. In 99.9% of your course of study you can neglect the fact that they rotate; just manipulate them like ordinary vectors. They rotate because a sinewave can be represented by the projection of a rotating vector onto a chosen axis.

azolotor
Jan30-13, 08:15 AM
P: 9
What is a phasor

Thanks so much! Much clearer now.

Register to reply