Register to reply

What's the purpose of havin large tyres in cars

by rahulpark
Tags: cars, havin, purpose, tyres
Share this thread:
rahulpark
Jan25-13, 10:31 PM
P: 10
I've seen that in movies,cars with large tires . What's the purpose of this. Is it used for increasing the speed or the Torque ? With bigger tyres,I found analytically that both parameter would be increased. But would that not violate conservation of energy.
Please point my mistake and furnish me with knowledge.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
brewnog
Jan26-13, 02:34 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
They look cool.
Ranger Mike
Jan26-13, 03:07 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,474
no Brews...some people think they look cool...

brewnog
Jan26-13, 09:57 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
What's the purpose of havin large tyres in cars

Haha good shout, I'll give you that one. My Seven has 13" wheels and looks awesome!
Bobbywhy
Jan27-13, 04:29 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,909
My Toyota truck here in Brasil has 16 inch wheels. They help me pass over rocks, small trees, and through streams where there are no roads at all! If the tires were smaller my truck would likely often get stuck.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy
Highspeed
Jan31-13, 08:17 AM
P: 44
Aside from looks, a larger contact patch, lower tire/bearing/drivetrain speeds for the same mph/kph, and the added value of a ride usually reserved for fine dump trucks or hay wagons.
Jupiter6
Feb2-13, 02:34 AM
P: 128
Quote Quote by rahulpark View Post
I've seen that in movies,cars with large tires . What's the purpose of this. Is it used for increasing the speed or the Torque ? With bigger tyres,I found analytically that both parameter would be increased. But would that not violate conservation of energy.
Please point my mistake and furnish me with knowledge.
I'm assuming you're talking about large diameter wheel/low profile tire setups seen on most sports cars and even some old muscle cars these days.

Smaller tire sidewalls increase the handling characteristics of the vehicle i.e. the side walls won't flex as much disallowing the vehicle to wobble. The expense of that is you get a rougher ride.

For a drag car, you want nice tall sloppy sidewalls.

Register to reply