Does this happen with everyone?

by Avichal
Tags: happen
Avichal
Feb1-13, 09:56 AM
P: 282
Whenever I start a new thing, I begin with the absolute beginning. For eg:- If I start studying electronics I will go back to discovery of electricity, discovery of electrons, cathode ray experiment etc. Similarly with other subjects. I just understand things much better this way.

So does this happen with anybody? There are times when studying advanced maths that I start wondering about how additions, subtraction are defined. I just like starting from beginning everytime I start something new. However this eats a lot of my time. While classes move on I see myself lagging behind.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Drakkith
Feb1-13, 10:41 AM
PF Gold
P: 11,057
Not I. I need to understand the basic concepts first, but I don't need to go back to the dawn of physics to understand basic electronics. However if you literally didn't know what an electron really was before you took the course then I can understand that.
Avichal
Feb1-13, 11:21 AM
P: 282
No I had all the prerequisites for the electronics course but still I felt the need to go back to the dawn of physics before starting the course.
Actually it happens with every course. I like to start from the very beginning before really getting into the course

Drakkith
Feb1-13, 11:30 AM
PF Gold
P: 11,057

Does this happen with everyone?

Quote Quote by Avichal View Post
No I had all the prerequisites for the electronics course but still I felt the need to go back to the dawn of physics before starting the course.
Actually it happens with every course. I like to start from the very beginning before really getting into the course
Not sure what to tell ya. If that's the way you learn then I guess that's just the way you learn.
Ryan_m_b
Feb1-13, 11:32 AM
Mentor
P: 5,350
I'm with Drakkith. Basic concepts first, mix in a bit of history if it's interesting or relevant but it's not essential. For me it would be a massive waste of time and effort if for every subject I had to start from the historical perspective rather than starting with the basic concepts understood in modern times.
AlephZero
Feb1-13, 01:30 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,386
I guess you would enjoy learning the basics of math from a book like Russell and Whitehead's "Principia Mathematica".

If takes them about 370 pages to get to the point where they can start proving the proposition "1+1=2", and they finally complete the proof nearly 100 pages into Volume II, with the footnote "The above proposition is occasionally useful".

Register to reply