Proof by Induction

by Bachelier
Tags: induction, proof
Bachelier
Feb1-13, 10:34 PM
P: 376
Is it a solid proof to show that the closure of a union equals the union of the closures of the sets via induction?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
Number Nine
Feb1-13, 11:24 PM
P: 771
Quote Quote by Bachelier View Post
Is it a solid proof to show that the closure of a union equals the union of the closures of the sets via induction?
How can we possibly know if your proof is valid if you don't show us your proof? Still, I'm not entirely sure why you would use induction here. Are you only considering the union of finitely many sets?
jedishrfu
Feb1-13, 11:30 PM
P: 2,471
A proof is a proof no matter if you use induction or some direct method as long as the logic of each step is impeccable.

There are some math purists who disdain induction proofs for some theorems and prefer other styles of proof but thats beyond my math understanding to explain here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brouwer...rt_controversy

Bachelier
Feb2-13, 11:22 PM

Proof by Induction

Quote Quote by Number Nine View Post
How can we possibly know if your proof is valid if you don't show us your proof? Still, I'm not entirely sure why you would use induction here. Are you only considering the union of finitely many sets?
Yes of course. I'm talking about finite sets. I found a different way to prove it though. But the proof by induction crossed my mind.

I should work it out some time and post it here. It seems feasible.
Bachelier
Feb2-13, 11:22 PM
Quote Quote by jedishrfu View Post
A proof is a proof no matter if you use induction or some direct method as long as the logic of each step is impeccable.

There are some math purists who disdain induction proofs for some theorems and prefer other styles of proof but thats beyond my math understanding to explain here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brouwer...rt_controversy
great article. Thanks

Register to reply