Register to reply

Any compilation of all classical physics concepts?

by tahayassen
Tags: classical, compilation, concepts, physics
Share this thread:
tahayassen
Feb2-13, 09:26 PM
P: 273
I understand many classical physics concepts but I feel like my understanding of the concepts are all scattered. I can't seem to make links between concepts. For example: I understand momentum, forces and energy, but I have trouble making any links between the ideas (other than the link that work is just force times a distance). It doesn't help that the concepts are always taught separately and the problems usually only involve a maximum of 2 concepts at a time.

Is there any resource or video like the one below but for classical physics?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_is9LzFSY

Maybe it has to do with my understanding of physics? My current understanding is that classical physics uses not very much calculus, but according to wikipedia:

Physics makes particular use of calculus; all concepts in classical mechanics and electromagnetism are interrelated through calculus. The mass of an object of known density, the moment of inertia of objects, as well as the total energy of an object within a conservative field can be found by the use of calculus.
So maybe I can link concepts with calculus?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Three's a charm: NIST detectors reveal entangled photon triplets
How did evolution optimize circadian clocks?
New webcast series brings cutting-edge physics talks to the world
FeynmanIsCool
Feb2-13, 11:25 PM
P: 123
Do you know how these formula's were derived?
Knowing just a formula vs. KNOWING a formula (how it was derived, its consequences ect..) will lead to a much deeper knowledge. (you probably know this)

Example: What is momentum? - It is the product of the mass of a body and its velocity.
How does it relate to force?
Well, lets day a force (F) pushes on a body for a time (t), the momentum of the body will be changed by a certain amount (due to how long its pushed on).
So we say: Δp=FΔt,
then we look at this from calculus differentiate it: F=dp/dt! but then one says, ohh...the change in p depends on a certain time! so, lets factor in t1 and t2
So then we can say: Δp= from t1 to t2 [itex]\int[/itex] F(t)dt !
Then you can see from this, we get: F=m(dv/dt) and since we know (dv/dt)=acceleration,
then you can say: F=ma, and you have derived Newtons second law

MIT has open course ware on physics I and II and they are a wealth of information. Walter Lewin derives many formulas with calculus and algebra. You can find the video's for free on youtube.
FeynmanIsCool
Feb2-13, 11:31 PM
P: 123
Video 1 of many: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmJV8CHIqFc

Register to reply