Register to reply

Positive thinking

by LT72884
Tags: positive, thinking
Share this thread:
LT72884
Feb3-13, 07:41 PM
P: 91
All right guys. A lil history bout me. in high school (10 years ago) i hated math, now i like it. Never went far with it in high school. Failed trig a year and a half ago. had to retake. Now im in my first EVER calc2 class. Finished calc 1 with a high 80's (87 or so). Now im in calc2 and i bombed my first test. 66% average was about 60% or so. I LOVE my instructor and i had him for calc1. So, guidance from people would be nice. Im trying to stay positive and realize that its just a test. its the learning i need to focus on. I have tried to understand the material but it is soooooo new to me and i have no physics behind me at all either. Mainly, its knowing which formula to use. it took me 4 or 5 hours to complete 4 volume problems... it just makes no sense. haha. anyway i find positive thinking is a BIG key to figuring out what to do next

He doesnt curve. Our school doesnt allow it for certain math classes. makes it harder.

thanks guys
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
ChaseDuncan
Feb3-13, 10:12 PM
P: 47
Quote Quote by LT72884 View Post
Mainly, its knowing which formula to use.
This approach has never worked for me. If I understand the logic behind the ideas and I understand where the formulas come from, then I do well on tests. Some people make 'plug and chug' work but I see very few doing it successfully(at least by my standards). I never could and I've always been quite successful in my math classes.

Quote Quote by LT72884 View Post
it took me 4 or 5 hours to complete 4 volume problems...
This is not an inordinate amount of time to spend on new material. I've spent ~12 hours in the past two days working on 12 homework problems.
LT72884
Feb4-13, 01:04 AM
P: 91
Quote Quote by ChaseDuncan View Post
This approach has never worked for me. If I understand the logic behind the ideas and I understand where the formulas come from, then I do well on tests. Some people make 'plug and chug' work but I see very few doing it successfully(at least by my standards). I never could and I've always been quite successful in my math classes.

This is not an inordinate amount of time to spend on new material. I've spent ~12 hours in the past two days working on 12 homework problems.
My problem was knowing when to use it or which one. haha. I now the logic behind the formulas for the most part. IE w=fd, but using an integrated approach. However, it is hard for me to see how the force or distance is in the equation. IE a 120 foot cable hanging off the roof. how much work does it take to wind it up? it weighs 3lb/ft. i did not study those enough and my grade reflects it. haha I need to study more honestly
, or at least i think i do.

thanks

Register to reply