Personal crisis: which direction to go?

• Thread starter Chem.Stud.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the speaker is a chemistry student in their final semester of their B.Sc. degree and is trying to figure out what they want to specialize in. They have taken various introductory chemistry courses and have also taken courses in statistics, mathematics, and philosophy. They are currently struggling to find an article in their field that truly interests them for an academic writing assignment. They are considering specializing in inorganic analysis and have a strong interest in the hydrogen economy and its potential uses in transportation and electric power generation. They are seeking advice from others on what topic to choose for their writing assignment.
Chem.Stud.
I am a chemistry student, currently in my final semester of my B.Sc. I need to figure out what I want to do; what to master in. I've taken all the introductory courses in chemistry, such as organic, inorganic, analytical, physical, bio-, environmental. I've also taken a course in applied organic spectroscopy, as well as some statistical courses (regression&data analysis, ANOVA II and experimental design) and some mathematics (calculus 1/2 and linear algebra and linear differential equations). In addition, the mandatory course which introduces philosophy, ethics and phil.of.science as well as a course called "causation in science".

Now, the basis for my crisis, is a course called "Academic writing". I have to choose an article from my field, and write an expository article. It's not the writing, I love writing! I just can't seem to find an article I find truly interesting! I really liked the analytical chemistry course. And yet, I feel I know nothing! When searching up articles in analytical chemisty, half of the methods I don't know the principles behind, and the other half I haven't heard of. And I find it hard to be enthusiastic about the findings of certain heavy metals in drinking water in developing countries, or the testing of titanium dioxide solar photocatalysis, which I don't know how works. Basically, I know nothing, it feels!

However, I really love chemistry. The inorganic chemistry course was much fun, and the lab exercises were great! So I've been thinking maybe inorganic analysis is the way to go. I got a job where I check the lab reports from those a year behind me, and the my lab teacher showed me the new ICP-MS machine, a new type (something about quadruple something-something) that we were the first one to get in the whole world. I'd like to know more about how different analytical methods work, and we did learn about a few in the analytical course, but I don't feel I know that much.

I'm rambling! Does anyone have any advice?
Anders

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, just take any chemical article from Nature or Science. They are all about breakthroughs.

Personally, I'm interested in the hydrogen economy and how hydrogen will be used in transportation and electric power generation. There is a lot of information on the net and on this forum discussing new developments and future prospects. You can discuss generation, storage, transportation, fuel cells, etc. Each of those subtopics have huge problems and huge opportunities, they are relevant for a number of reasons and easily researched and appreciated by most audiences.

1. What are some common signs of a personal crisis?

Signs of a personal crisis may include feeling overwhelmed, experiencing intense emotions such as fear or anxiety, changes in behavior or habits, difficulty making decisions, and a sense of loss of control over one's life.

2. How can I determine which direction to go during a personal crisis?

It can be helpful to seek support from a therapist or trusted loved one to explore your thoughts and feelings. Additionally, taking time for self-reflection and identifying your values and goals can help guide you towards the right direction.

3. Is it normal to feel lost and uncertain during a personal crisis?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel lost and uncertain during a personal crisis. It is a natural response to a challenging situation and can be a sign that change is needed. Remember to be patient with yourself and seek support when needed.

4. How can I cope with a personal crisis?

There are many ways to cope with a personal crisis, including seeking therapy, practicing self-care, reaching out to loved ones for support, and finding healthy ways to manage stress and emotions. It is important to find coping strategies that work for you and to be gentle with yourself during this difficult time.

5. Is it possible to overcome a personal crisis?

Yes, it is possible to overcome a personal crisis. It may take time, effort, and support, but with self-reflection, self-care, and seeking help when needed, it is possible to come out stronger on the other side.