What is the difference between dy/dx, Δy/Δx, δy/δx and ∂y/∂x?

• Thread starter CraigH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the symbols d, delta, lower case del, and lower case δy are used to represent small changes, δy is the gradient of a line, Δy is the gradient of a line through two points, and ∂y is the gradient of the tangent through a point.
CraigH
Just in case the symbols do not appear correctly they are d, upper case delta, lower case delta, and lower case del.

Also, what is the difference between dy, Δy, δy and ∂y when they are on their own?

I think δy (lower case delta) is a infinitesimally small change in y, where as Δy (uppercase delta) is just y2 - y1 where the difference can be much larger.

Is this correct?

Also how does this differ from dy and ∂y?

Note:
I understand calculus and rates of change, I just do not know the difference between these different symbols and forms of differentials.

Likes Consolacion Ruiz
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give it a go: in order -
dy/dx : is the gradient of the tangent at a point on the curve y=f(x)
Δy/Δx : is the gradient of a line through two points on the curve y=f(x)
δy/δx is the gradient of the line between two ponts on the curve y=f(x) which are close together
∂y/∂x is the gradient of the tangent through a point on the surface y=f(x,z,...) in the direction of the x axis.

The lower case delta just indicates a small change - not an infinitesimally small change.
It's a short-hand notation whose meaning depends on the context.

You will get a better understanding of the others when you see the more general forms - like the gradient operator, and the relationship to line and surface integrals.

Likes Consolacion Ruiz
To add to Simon's post, δy/δx can also be a functional derivative. This is often used in calculus of variations / field theory.

Thanks guys, just one more question, what do they mean on there on, for example I see equations like
∂r =∂xcosx +∂ysiny
PD = ΔV (I understand this one (v1-v2))

Whats the difference?

Thanks

If it was ##\Delta r = \Delta x \cos x + \Delta y \sin y## would that be clear?

The ##\partial## is just the ##d## where you have functions of more than one variable, and the ##d## is just a ##\Delta## in the infinitesimal limit.

In your example, the equation is a relationship between partials and it needs to be operated upon to get something you can use.
i.e. divide through by ##\partial t## or (or ##\partial x##) or put an integral sign in front and see what happens.

A classic example comes from finding the area under a function (y=f(x) say, between limits a and b)... you are used to the shortcut. In fact, what you do is divide the total area into loads of small areas and add them up. You write this: ##A=\int dA## (the integral sign refers to the sum over very small bits.)

In Cartesian coordinates, you'd notice that ##dA=dx.dy## and this let's you rewrite the last integral as $$A=\int_a^b\int_0^{f(x)}dy.dx=\int_a^b f(x).dx$$ ... which is the form you are probably used to.

Just a note, you may also see things like $$ \partial_x F(x,y,z) $$ which means the partial derivative of the function with respect to [itex]x[/itex]. Newer texts often use this notation.

I've never something like
∂r =∂xcosx +∂ysiny
Are you sure that's what the book/paper said? It was always my impression that for partial derivatives the variable of differentiation had to be explicit.

Are you sure that's what the book/paper said? It was always my impression that for partial derivatives the variable of differentiation had to be explicit.
That bothered me too. I would have expected to see dr, dx and dy in that context - just assumed sloppy notation.

Likes Consolacion Ruiz
Thanks, and yeah I wrote down the example wrong, it was actually:

∂r = ∂xcosθ + ∂ysinθ

It was on a page explaining the derivation of the gradient function, where the gradient = ∂z/∂r

I still do not understand exactly what's happening on this page but now I at least understand the notation, so if I read it a few more times I should be good :)

Thanks!

Oh wait I read it wrong again, it's actually:

∂r = ∂xcosθ = ∂ysinθ

damn dyslexia

This makes a lot more sense now

1. What does dy/dx represent in calculus?

dy/dx, also known as the derivative, represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function y with respect to the independent variable x. It measures the slope of the tangent line to the curve at a specific point.

2. How is Δy/Δx different from dy/dx?

While dy/dx represents the instantaneous rate of change, Δy/Δx represents the average rate of change of a function y with respect to x over a given interval. It is calculated by taking the change in y divided by the change in x.

3. What is the difference between δy/δx and dy/dx?

δy/δx and dy/dx both represent the derivative of a function y with respect to x. However, δy/δx is commonly used in physics to represent the partial derivative, where only one variable is being changed while holding others constant. In contrast, dy/dx represents the total derivative, where all variables are allowed to change.

4. How is ∂y/∂x different from δy/δx?

∂y/∂x and δy/δx both represent the partial derivative of a function y with respect to x. However, ∂y/∂x is commonly used in mathematics to represent the partial derivative, while δy/δx is more commonly used in physics.

5. Why are there different notations for the derivative?

The different notations for the derivative, such as dy/dx, Δy/Δx, δy/δx, and ∂y/∂x, are used in different fields of mathematics and science. Each notation has its own context and meaning, and it is important to use the correct notation in order to accurately represent the concept being discussed.