Expected Value and First Order Stochastic Dominance

by odck11
Tags: means, stochastic dominance
Share this thread:
odck11
Feb4-13, 03:21 PM
P: 2
Dear All:

Given two random variables X and Y, if I have established the relationship E[X]>=E[Y], does this necessarily imply that X must have a first-order-stochastic dominance over Y?

I know that first order stochastic dominance implies that the mean value of the dominating random variable be greater than the other variable but I am trying to find out whether the reverse must hold.

Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
mathman
Feb4-13, 03:30 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,080
Quote Quote by odck11 View Post
Dear All:

Given two random variables X and Y, if I have established the relationship E[X]>=E[Y], does this necessarily imply that X must have a first-order-stochastic dominance over Y?

I know that first order stochastic dominance implies that the mean value of the dominating random variable be greater than the other variable but I am trying to find out whether the reverse must hold.

Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Not necessarily. Let X have two states 10 and 0, while Y has two states 2 and 1, both with equal probability. E(X) = 5, E(Y) = 1.5, but X does not dominate Y.
odck11
Feb4-13, 03:46 PM
P: 2
Great! Thanks a lot. That's what I guessed too but just wanted to make sure. I appreciate your fast reply.

Register to reply