Register to reply

Show that the preimage of dense set is dense?

by mathgirl313
Tags: dense, preimage
Share this thread:
mathgirl313
Apr29-12, 04:31 PM
P: 22
Over a map f that is continuous, and I believe it also has to be onto. I keep trying to come at this at different angles and can't seem to get anywhere.

So more formally...
If f:X→Y, and f is continuous and onto. Let A be a dense set in Y. Then f^1(A) is dense in X.

I'm not entirely sure how to do this. My approach was to let U be any open set in X such that U intersected with any neighborhood of f^1(a) such that a is in A. But I keep getting all mixed up.

Using the fact (from continuity) that every open neighborhood of V(f(x)) for x in X, there exists a U(x) such that f(U(x)) is contained in V(f(x)). Since A is dense in Y, there exists and a in A such that a is in V(f(x)). BUT this doesn't mean that f^1(a) is in U(x), as V(f(x)) could contain elements that are not mapped from f(U(x)).

However, if this map is continuous, does that mean I can get the f^1(a) in U(x), and since x is arbitrary f^1(A) intersect all open sets in X are nonempty, and this f^1(A) is dense? Or am I just way off in all regards?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
mathwonk
Apr29-12, 05:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,481
"obviously" false. just look at a graph of a real valued function. maybe one with some horizontal parts to its graph. i.e. all you have to do is map an interval to a point and you are dead meat. i.e. then the oreimage of the complement of that point is not dense.

as usual "obviously" means I think I can see it.
jstahl
Feb4-13, 08:03 PM
P: 1
It is definitely false. Let ##X = \mathbb{R}## be the reals with the discrete topology, let ##Y = \mathbb{R}## be the reals with the Euclidean topology, and let
$$
f : X\to Y\\
x\mapsto x.
$$
Then ##\mathbb{Q}## is dense in ##Y##, but ##\overline{f^{-1}(\mathbb{Q})} = \overline{\mathbb{Q}} = \mathbb{Q}## in X, because every set is closed in the discrete topology, and hence ##f^{-1}(\mathbb{Q})## is not dense in ##(\mathbb{R},\tau_{\textrm{disc}})##.

Register to reply