Show that the preimage of dense set is dense?

• Thread starter mathgirl313
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about a map f that is continuous and onto, and the question of whether the preimage of a dense set in the codomain is also dense in the domain. The conversation explores different approaches and examples to try and understand this concept, ultimately concluding that this statement is not always true and providing a counterexample.
mathgirl313
Over a map f that is continuous, and I believe it also has to be onto. I keep trying to come at this at different angles and can't seem to get anywhere.

So more formally...
If f:X→Y, and f is continuous and onto. Let A be a dense set in Y. Then f^1(A) is dense in X.

I'm not entirely sure how to do this. My approach was to let U be any open set in X such that U intersected with any neighborhood of f^1(a) such that a is in A. But I keep getting all mixed up.

Using the fact (from continuity) that every open neighborhood of V(f(x)) for x in X, there exists a U(x) such that f(U(x)) is contained in V(f(x)). Since A is dense in Y, there exists and a in A such that a is in V(f(x)). BUT this doesn't mean that f^1(a) is in U(x), as V(f(x)) could contain elements that are not mapped from f(U(x)).

However, if this map is continuous, does that mean I can get the f^1(a) in U(x), and since x is arbitrary f^1(A) intersect all open sets in X are nonempty, and this f^1(A) is dense? Or am I just way off in all regards?

Physics news on Phys.org
"obviously" false. just look at a graph of a real valued function. maybe one with some horizontal parts to its graph. i.e. all you have to do is map an interval to a point and you are dead meat. i.e. then the oreimage of the complement of that point is not dense.

as usual "obviously" means I think I can see it.

It is definitely false. Let ##X = \mathbb{R}## be the reals with the discrete topology, let ##Y = \mathbb{R}## be the reals with the Euclidean topology, and let
$$
f : X\to Y\\
x\mapsto x.
$$
Then ##\mathbb{Q}## is dense in ##Y##, but ##\overline{f^{-1}(\mathbb{Q})} = \overline{\mathbb{Q}} = \mathbb{Q}## in X, because every set is closed in the discrete topology, and hence ##f^{-1}(\mathbb{Q})## is not dense in ##(\mathbb{R},\tau_{\textrm{disc}})##.

1. What does it mean for a set to be dense?

A set is considered dense if it contains points that are arbitrarily close together. In other words, there are no gaps or holes in the set and it is packed tightly together.

2. What is the preimage of a set?

The preimage of a set is the set of all points that map to the given set under a specific function. In other words, it is the set of all inputs that produce an output within the given set.

3. How do you show that the preimage of a dense set is dense?

To show that the preimage of a dense set is dense, you must prove that for any point in the preimage, there exists a point in the original set that is arbitrarily close to it. This can be done using the definition of density and the properties of functions.

4. Why is it important to prove that the preimage of a dense set is dense?

This proof is important because it helps us understand the behavior of functions and their relationship to dense sets. It also has applications in many areas of mathematics, such as topology and analysis.

5. Can the preimage of a dense set ever be not dense?

Yes, it is possible for the preimage of a dense set to not be dense. This can happen if the function is not continuous or if the set itself is not dense. However, if the function is continuous and the set is dense, then the preimage must also be dense.