Pendulum Potential energy equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct equation for calculating the potential energy of a pendulum at the inverted position. The speaker is confused about which equation to use and asks for clarification. The other person explains that the reference level for potential energy should be chosen as the vertical position and suggests using the second formula provided. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their gratitude for the help.
cres222
hello every one
i have this pendulum:
pend222.png

i need to stabilize the pendulum in the inverted position , i need to know the potential energy for the pendulum , i read several articles in each one i have a different equation :
[itex]V=mgl_{p}cos\alpha[/itex]
[itex]V=-mgl_{p}cos\alpha[/itex]
[itex]V=mgl_{p}(1-cos\alpha)[/itex]
[itex]V=mgl_{p}(cos\alpha-1)[/itex]
Now i'am really confused which equation is the correct one?
Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you taking as your reference level? (Where PE = 0.) The pivot? The gravitational PE is given by mgΔy, where Δy is measured from your chosen reference level. Using that you should be able to pick the correct formula.

[itex]P.E=0[/itex] at the vertical position ([itex]\alpha=0[/itex] from the vertical line in the picture above), now which formula should i use :
[itex]P.E=mgl_{p}(1-cos\alpha)[/itex]
or
[itex]P.E=mgl_{p}(cos\alpha-1)[/itex]

cres222 said:
[itex]P.E=0[/itex] at the vertical position ([itex]\alpha=0[/itex] from the vertical line in the picture above), now which formula should i use :
[itex]P.E=mgl_{p}(1-cos\alpha)[/itex]
or
[itex]P.E=mgl_{p}(cos\alpha-1)[/itex]
Using the vertical position as your reference, Δy will be negative for any nonzero angle. The second of those is the one you want.

so:
[itex]\Delta y=[/itex](center of mass level-reference level)
not the other way around , am i correct?

cres222 said:
so:
[itex]\Delta y=[/itex](center of mass level-reference level)
not the other way around , am i correct?
Δy is measured from the PE = 0 reference point. Another way to write the PE is mgy, where y is the vertical position of the center of mass and y = 0 is the PE = 0 point.

Since you are choosing the reference level to be where the pendulum is vertical (the angle is zero) and thus the mass is at its highest point, all values for y and thus PE for non-zero angles will be negative since they are below that point.

Now i understand , thank you very much for you kindly help,I'm very appreciative

What is the equation for calculating potential energy in a pendulum?

The equation for calculating potential energy in a pendulum is PE = mgh, where PE is potential energy, m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the pendulum's center of mass.

How is potential energy related to the motion of a pendulum?

Potential energy is related to the motion of a pendulum because as the pendulum swings back and forth, potential energy is constantly being converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. When the pendulum reaches its highest point, all of its potential energy has been converted into kinetic energy, and as it swings back down, the kinetic energy is converted back into potential energy.

Can the potential energy of a pendulum be negative?

Yes, the potential energy of a pendulum can be negative. This occurs when the pendulum is below its resting position, and its height is measured as a negative value. The potential energy is still calculated using the same equation, but the negative value for height will result in a negative potential energy.

How does the length of a pendulum affect its potential energy?

The length of a pendulum does not affect its potential energy. The only factors that affect potential energy in a pendulum are the mass of the pendulum, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the pendulum's center of mass. This means that a pendulum with the same mass and height but different lengths will have the same potential energy.

What are the units of measurement for potential energy in a pendulum?

The units of measurement for potential energy in a pendulum are joules (J), which is the standard unit for energy. This is because potential energy is a form of energy, specifically stored energy, and is therefore measured in the same units as other forms of energy.