How exactly do you find the net force between charges?

by paki123
Tags: charges, force
paki123
Feb5-13, 08:21 AM
P: 5
I was doing some homework problems, and I came across a couple I didn't know. I then realized I must have screwed up my understanding on electrical forces.

For an electrical force, if there are two protons, the force is k*q1*q2/r^2. The direction is in the opposite direction.

<---(+) (+)--->

Right?

What would be the net force there assuming the charge is e? Would it be 0 since they are in the opposite direction and have equal distances?

My question is it possible to have a third electron and still have the net force equal to 0?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
Philip Wood
Feb5-13, 12:07 PM
P: 861
Yes and Yes! If [itex]\textbf{F}_{i, j}[/itex] means the force that charged particle j exerts on charged particle i, then [itex]\textbf{F}_{i, j}[/itex] = [itex]\textbf{F}_{j, i}[/itex]. In other words the forces between the particles are equal and opposite.

For three particles,
the force on particle 1 is [itex]\textbf{F}_{1, 2}[/itex] + [itex]\textbf{F}_{1, 3}[/itex]
the force on particle 2 is [itex]\textbf{F}_{2, 3}[/itex] + [itex]\textbf{F}_{2, 1}[/itex]
the force on particle 3 is [itex]\textbf{F}_{3, 1}[/itex] + [itex]\textbf{F}_{3, 2}[/itex]

So the net force, that is the forces on all three particles added together, is zero, because
[itex]\textbf{F}_{1, 2}[/itex] = [itex]-\textbf{F}_{2, 1}[/itex] and so on.

Register to reply