Register to reply

Stopping discharging a battery during charging

by adilsyyed
Tags: battery, charging, discharging, stopping
Share this thread:
adilsyyed
Feb5-13, 03:35 PM
P: 26
I am from a country where power outage is very common.
I have a light source which is run by a lead acid battery. At night, I want to keep this light ON during power outage and when the electricity is back on, the charging circuit engages and the lights should turn off itself.
I am guessing an arrangement would be needed so that when the charging starts, with it somehow, a circuit should sense it and open/dis-engage the discharging circuit.

Simple Version:
I want to plug the charger in the battery, during power outage the light will be ON and with power on (when the charger starts charging the battery), the light turns OFF.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lawsuits challenge US drone, model aircraft rules
CU-Boulder leads international unmanned aircraft testing event at Pawnee Grassland
Gesture-controlled, autonomous vehicles may be valuable helpers in logistics and trans-shipment centers
berkeman
Feb5-13, 04:25 PM
Mentor
P: 40,961
Quote Quote by adilsyyed View Post
I am from a country where power outage is very common.
I have a light source which is run by a lead acid battery. At night, I want to keep this light ON during power outage and when the electricity is back on, the charging circuit engages and the lights should turn off itself.
I am guessing an arrangement would be needed so that when the charging starts, with it somehow, a circuit should sense it and open/dis-engage the discharging circuit.

Simple Version:
I want to plug the charger in the battery, during power outage the light will be ON and with power on (when the charger starts charging the battery), the light turns OFF.
I would use a relay powered from the wall power. You can connect your light and charging circuit to different parts of the relay to give the two different configurations.
adilsyyed
Feb5-13, 04:31 PM
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
I would use a relay powered from the wall power. You can connect your light and charging circuit to different parts of the relay to give the two different configurations.
ummm... That would be a nice way to do it.

berkeman
Feb5-13, 04:33 PM
Mentor
P: 40,961
Stopping discharging a battery during charging

Be sure to use a "break-before-make" type of relay.
adilsyyed
Feb5-13, 06:14 PM
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
Be sure to use a "break-before-make" type of relay.
If only I was expert in electronics.
But thanks for the head start, that's how we learn. I am going to read more about the relay you proposed.

Register to reply