Register to reply

Euclidean and plane geometry.

by yungman
Tags: euclidean, geometry, plane
Share this thread:
yungman
Feb5-13, 03:02 PM
P: 3,883
What is the difference between the Euclidean Geometry and the simple plane geometry? They seems to work with flat planes.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
tiny-tim
Feb5-13, 04:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,160
hi yungman!

i'm confused
aren't they the same thing?
micromass
Feb5-13, 05:02 PM
Mentor
P: 18,010
I don't necessarily associate "plane geometry" with Euclidean geometry. Something like [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] or [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] are also Euclidean geometries (to me).

yungman
Feb5-13, 05:17 PM
Euclidean and plane geometry.

Thanks for the reply, I just gone on the Youtube to take a crash course into spherical trigonometry. The lectures review the basic of Euclidean geometry as an introduction to spherical geometry. Everything about Euclidean geometry sounds like just simple plane geometry I learned long time ago, but I never learn the name Euclidean geometry. I really don't know the detail, that's the reason I asked.

Thanks

Alan
tiny-tim
Feb5-13, 05:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,160
Hi Alan!
Quote Quote by yungman View Post
Everything about Euclidean geometry sounds like just simple plane geometry I learned long time ago
Yes it is different name, same thing!
yungman
Feb5-13, 06:22 PM
Quote Quote by tiny-tim View Post
Hi Alan!

Yes it is different name, same thing!
Hi Tiny-Tim

Thanks for the reply. That's all I want to know.

Alan
mathwonk
Feb6-13, 09:15 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
to me plane geometry means two dimensional geometry, either euclidean or hyperbolic, while euclidean geometry means essentially the geometry of R^n, i.e. a geometry of any finite dimension in which triangles have angle sum 180 degrees.

to people who have not studied hyperbolic plane geometry, the term plane geometry probably means the more familiar euclidean plane geometry. i do not consider the hyperbolic plane to be flat however.
yungman
Feb6-13, 12:22 PM
I guess I consider plane geometry can be extended to 3D as long as all the surfaces are flat. Just like a cube composes of six planes. All the trig functions apply.

The spherical surface is totally different where circumference is not 2[itex]\pi[/itex]R as the surface is not flat.
SteamKing
Feb6-13, 02:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,257
I believe geometries (2D or 3D) are referred to as Euclidean if the parallel postulate holds. In Euclidean geometry, a 2D triangle has a total internal angle of 180 degrees or pi radians. In non-Euclidean geometries, there is no parallel postulate, and the total internal angle of a 2D triangle is not equal to 180 degrees.

Register to reply