Functional Analysis by Riesz and Sz.-Nagy

In summary, "Functional Analysis" by Frigyes Riesz and Bela Sz.-Nagy provides a clear and simple explanation of Lebesgue integration, including both the version without measure theory and the version with measures introduced by Lebesgue himself. The book also discusses alternative approaches. The concepts presented in this book have been used to explain integration and antidifferentiation in a straightforward manner in post #9 of a Physics Forums thread. However, there may be some errors in posts #12 and #14, which the author has attempted to clarify.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't Recommend

• Strongly don't Recommend

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
To me, this book's explanation of Lebesgue integration is one of the clearest and simplest available. They do it without measure theory first, then give also the version with measures, due to Lebesgue himself. Finally they mention some alternatives. I have used this discussion to explain integration and antidifferentiation as simply as I could in post #9 of the following thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=668367

But see also posts #12 and #14 where I try to modify some possibly erroneous remarks about question #3 discussed there, which I have been unable to edit out.

Last edited:

1. What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear operators. It is a powerful tool that is used to analyze and understand functions and their properties.

2. Who are Riesz and Sz.-Nagy?

Marcel Riesz and Béla Szőkefalvi-Nagy are two Hungarian mathematicians who are known for their contributions to functional analysis. They are particularly known for their work on the theory of linear operators and the spectral theorem.

3. What is the main focus of "Functional Analysis by Riesz and Sz.-Nagy"?

The main focus of this book is the study of linear operators on Banach spaces. It covers topics such as the spectral theorem, compact operators, and the Hahn-Banach theorem.

4. Is this book suitable for beginners in functional analysis?

No, this book is not recommended for beginners. It is better suited for readers who already have a basic understanding of functional analysis and are looking for a more advanced and rigorous treatment of the subject.

5. What are some applications of functional analysis?

Functional analysis has many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to study and solve differential equations, optimization problems, and control systems, among others. It also plays a crucial role in the development of mathematical models and algorithms in these fields.