Feb6-13, 06:55 AM
P: 192
I see identity in one mathematical book
[tex]div \vec{A}(r)=\frac{\partial \vec{A}}{\partial r} \cdot grad r[/tex]
How? From which equation?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
Simon Bridge
Feb6-13, 07:16 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,873
what does ##gradr## mean?

Do you mean: $$\text{div}(\vec{A}(r)) = \frac{\partial\vec{A}(r)}{\partial r}\text{grad}(r)$$ ... still not sure it makes sense.

But it looks a bit like it might be a special case of the grad operator in spherical or polar coordinates.
I'm afraid you'll have to provide the reference - the book could simply be wrong.
joeblow
Feb6-13, 08:29 AM
P: 71
Is r a vector or not? Either way it seems that there is a problem with that equation.

HallsofIvy
Feb6-13, 08:44 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,544
Divergence question

Assuming that r is the distance from (0, 0) to (x, y) then that equation is correct and is just the chain rule (although, strictly speaking, that partial derivative ought to be an ordinary derivative since A is assumed to be a function of r only).
matematikuvol
Feb6-13, 09:26 AM
P: 192
Yes. But I'm not sure why is that correct? Could you explain me that?
HallsofIvy
Feb6-13, 05:59 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,544
As I said, it is the chain rule. We have [itex]r= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}[/itex] so that [itex]\partial r/\partial x= x(x^2+ y^2+ z^2)^{-1/2}= x/r[/itex], [itex]\partial r/\partial y= y(x^2+ y^2+ z^2)^{-1/2}= y/r[/itex], [itex]\partial r/\partial z= z(x^2+ y^2+ z^2)^{-1/2}= z/r[/itex]. So [itex]grad r= (xi+ yj+ zk)/r[/itex].

If we write [itex]\vec{A(r)}= A_1(r)i+ A_2(r)j+ A_3(r)k[/itex] then [itex]d\vec{A(r)}/dr= (dA_1/dr) i+ (dA_2/dr)j+ (dA_3/dr)k[/itex] and [itex](d\vec{A})/dr\cdot grad r= (x(dA_1/dr)+ y(dA_2/dr)+ z(dA_3/dr))/r[/itex]

On the left, [itex]div \vec{A(r)}= dA_1/dr+ dA_2/dr+ dA_3/dr= [(\partial A_1/\partial x)(\partial r/\partial x)+ (\partial A_1/\partial y)(\partial r/\partial y)+ (\partial A_1/\partial z)(\partial z/\partial r)]+ [(\partial A_2/\partial x)(\partial r/\partial x)+ (\partial A_2/\partial y)(\partial r/\partial y)+ (\partial A_2/\partial z)(\partial z/\partial r)]+ [(\partial A_3/\partial x)(\partial r/\partial x)+ (\partial A_3/\partial y)(\partial r/\partial y)+ (\partial A_3/\partial z)(\partial z/\partial r)][/itex]
Now use the fact that [itex]\partial x/\partial r= 1/(\partial r/\partial x)= r/x[/itex], [itex]\partial y/\partial r= r/y[/itex], and [itex]\partial z/\partial r= r/z[/itex].

Register to reply