neutron source

by Stephan_doc
Tags: neutron, source
Stephan_doc
Feb7-13, 01:00 PM
P: 28
Greetings to all,
I know activity for a Am-Be neutron source. I want to compute strenght source in neutrons/s. Yours advices are welcome. Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Astronuc
Feb9-13, 06:18 AM
Admin
P: 21,637
Quote Quote by Stephan_doc View Post
Greetings to all,
I know activity for a Am-Be neutron source. I want to compute strenght source in neutrons/s. Yours advices are welcome. Thank you!
One could take the α decay rate of Am-241, and with knowledge of the macroscopic cross-section, including reaction efficiency, determine the n source term.

Alternatively, Amersham produces an Am-Be source of ~ 2.2 x 106 n/sec per Ci. This is the approximate value at manufacture, so one has to correct for Am-241 decay. One would have to know the Ci of Am of the original source, or the date of manufacture.
Stephan_doc
Feb28-13, 02:15 PM
P: 28
Thank you for answer, finally i found the solution. For example Po-210/Be neutrons-source has a yield of 70 neutrons/1milion alpha particles.

terryphi
Mar19-13, 10:54 PM
P: 53

neutron source

You need a conversion factor. Look at

Bernard Shlein, L. A. (1998). Handbook of Health Physics and Radiological Health Third Edition. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.

Quote Quote by Stephan_doc View Post
Greetings to all,

Register to reply