Register to reply

Solar Power - Photovoltiac cell confusion

by examorph
Tags: cell, confusion, photovoltiac, power, solar
Share this thread:
examorph
Feb7-13, 03:29 PM
P: 37
I have been trying to understand how PV cells work in solar panels and have become a bit confused, here is what I have read so far:

The PV cell is basically a PN junction diode with a conductive connection on the P and N material between this connection there is a load, a lamp for example, the Photon from the light strikes the PV cell and causes a electron to form in the N material and a hole to form in the P material, the electron wants to get to the hole so it goes through the conductive material which is joining the two P and N materials, through the load and into the P material where it joins together with the hole.

What I dont understand is, there are many electrons in the N material and many holes in the P material, what is stopping these from meeting, I mean the only combination of holes and electrons seems to be coming from the photons and not the electrons and holes which were formed from the doping, I would have thought that if you connected a wire from the P side to the N side all the electrons and holes would meet and cause the cell or diode to change back to its initial semiconductor state.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Amazon worker piloted drone around Space Needle
Five next-generation technologies for positioning, navigation and timing
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Dr_Morbius
Feb10-13, 05:05 PM
P: 155
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cell

Register to reply