Curvature of a trajectory

by rsaad
Tags: curvature, trajectory
Share this thread:
rsaad
Feb8-13, 09:55 AM
P: 77
Hi!
Can someone please explain how does the limit in the attachment equals the curvature of a trajectory? I do not understand it. Why is it defined this way?

ζ=dx/dl and it is in the direction of T.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
question.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets
vanhees71
Feb8-13, 01:06 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 2,326
It tells you, how much the direction of the tangent vector changes per unit length, when you walk along the curve. The larger this number (of dimension 1/length), the more your direction changes per unit path length. Thus it makes sense to call this the curvature. One can also show that it is an invariant wrt. to the choice of coordinates and parametrizations of the curve, because it can be derived from the curvature tensor.
mfb
Feb8-13, 01:09 PM
Mentor
P: 11,576
You can check how ##\tau## and ##l## look for a circle - and all curves (with a well-defined curvature) locally look like circles.
Alternatively, see Wikipedia, or any textbook.

Register to reply