Is the Live Catch phenomenon in pinball caused by electro-magnetic energy?

• Thread starter Zaino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the physics behind a real life pinball phenomenon called live catch. The participants observe that when the ball hits a flipper at its apex, the ball stops completely instead of bouncing off as expected. They propose theories involving momentum and kinetic energy conservation, as well as the use of electro-magnetic energy in the flipper. However, it is suggested that the flipper may bounce back from its limit at the moment of contact, causing the ball to stop.
Zaino
Hi guys,
I'm trying to formalize the physics behind a real life phenomenon that happens in pinball, live catch:

This video is not the best example, when you time it perfectly, the ball comes to a complete stop and just rolls down the cradle.

When the ball hits a flipper that's held up, the ball just bounces as we would expect from an elastic collision (the flipper has rubber all around it).
But if you hit the ball with the flipper EXACTLY when the flipper is at its apex, the ball stops completely.

Now, since both momentum and KE are conserved (I know some energy is dissipated, but let's assume the ball-flipper is a perfect elastic system), why doesn't the ball bounce off even in a live catch?

My explanation would be that for some reason the flipper is pushed down by the ball only when it's almost at the apex, and not when it's help up.
Then the ball would be stopped by the flipper absorbing the downward acceleration due from the component of gravity parallel to the table, and the ball momentum as well.

I believe flipper works with electro-magnetic energy, and I know that there is a switch that reduces the magnetic energy when the flipper reaches the apex. That would actually work against the above theory, since the flipper would be less resistant to being pushed down when it's held up.

Is there anybody here that think he/she can shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm. It looks to me like the following happens.

The ball hits the flipper and begins to bounce off. Before it can do so, the flipper is released, which enables it to carry away the transferred energy/momentum from the ball. Before the ball can roll down any further, the flipper is engaged again comes back into contact with the ball while the flipper is at the top of its travel range, whatever mechanism holds it in place is where the flipper's energy and momentum go to instead of the ball.

Thanks Drakkith,
In a live catch there actually is no release of the flipper at contact (that's a drop catch).
All you need to do is flip at the right time so that the ball connects when the flipper is at its apex, keep it pressed, and the ball stops.

Zaino said:
Thanks Drakkith,
In a live catch there actually is no release of the flipper at contact (that's a drop catch).
All you need to do is flip at the right time so that the ball connects when the flipper is at its apex, keep it pressed, and the ball stops.

Oh, I guess I didn't see the video correctly then.

But it might be that the flipper, being at the end of its hinge joint limit, at the instant after the contact, bounces back from the limit. Then it would be exactly the same as you described.

1. What is the concept of "Pinball Physics"?

The concept of "Pinball Physics" refers to the physical principles and laws that govern the behavior of a pinball within a pinball machine. It involves understanding concepts such as gravity, momentum, and friction to predict and control the movement of the pinball.

2. How does a pinball machine use physics to function?

A pinball machine uses a combination of mechanical and electrical components to create a game that relies heavily on physics. The flippers, bumpers, and plunger all use mechanical energy to affect the movement of the pinball, while sensors and electronic circuitry keep track of the score and trigger certain events within the game.

3. What is a "live catch" in pinball and how does it work?

A "live catch" in pinball refers to the technique of catching the ball on the flipper and holding it there without it rolling off. This is achieved by using the flipper to apply an upward force on the ball at the exact moment it hits the flipper, counteracting the force of gravity and allowing the ball to stay in place for a brief moment.

4. How does the angle of the pinball machine affect gameplay?

The angle of the pinball machine, also known as the slope or incline, can greatly affect gameplay. A steeper angle will result in a faster ball movement and shorter game times, while a shallower angle will slow down the ball and potentially make it easier to control. The angle can also affect the trajectory of the ball and how it interacts with different elements of the game.

5. Can the laws of physics be manipulated in pinball to achieve higher scores?

While there are certain techniques and strategies that can be used to manipulate the ball's movement within a pinball machine, ultimately the laws of physics cannot be altered. However, understanding these laws and using them to your advantage can definitely improve your gameplay and potentially lead to higher scores.