Subdivisions/Refinement Proof

by TheyCallMeMini
Tags: proof
Share this thread:
TheyCallMeMini
Feb11-13, 04:44 PM
P: 5
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If each of D1 and D2 is a subdivision of [a,b], then...
1. D1 u D2 is a subdivision of [a,b], and
2. D1 u D2 is a refinement of D1.

2. Relevant equations

**Definition 1: The statement that D is a subdivision of the interval [a,b] means...
1. D is a finite subset of [a,b], and
2. each of a and b belongs to D.

**Definition 2: The statement that K is a refinement of the subdivision D means...
1. K is a subdivision of [a,b], and
2. D is a subset of K.

3. The attempt at a solution

I just proved that, "If K is a refinement of H and H is a refinement of the subdivision D of [a,b], then K is a refinement of D." Well I havent wrote it down but the 2nd definition part 2 is what makes it easy to relate just being a transitive proof.

My problem is that I've taken a lot of logic courses in the past so when I see the union of two variables I only need to prove that one is actually true. In this particular situation both are true so its obvious but I don't know how to state that fact.

For the 2nd part of the proof, wouldn't I just say that D1 is a subset of itself, and its already given that D1 is a subdivision of [a,b]? It just seems too easy...

I also had questions about proofs I've already turned in that I did poorly on but I didn't want to flood this place with questions.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
ArcanaNoir
Feb12-13, 09:08 AM
P: 753
Quote Quote by TheyCallMeMini View Post
For the 2nd part of the proof, wouldn't I just say that D1 is a subset of itself, and its already given that D1 is a subdivision of [a,b]? It just seems too easy...
Yes, I agree. Since by the first part you will have already shown that D1 u D2 is a subdivision of [a,b], all you have to do in part 2 is simply state that D1 is a subset of D1 u D2, thus the definition of refinement is satisfied.

Register to reply